Blu-Ray v. HD-DVD

Blu-Ray v. HD-DVD  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which will win?

• Blu-Ray
    • HD-DVD

I vote "neither." At least not yet. I'm not confident that either one has its shit sufficiently together to win out. Early adopters will get burned, on one side or the other, and it won't necessarily be the one with the inferior technology. Remember Betamax?

There was a great article a couple of weeks ago in the New Yorker about this battle and it compared it to the battle of VHS vs. Betamax. Definitely worth a read if you can find it. The point of the article was that, at the end of the day, it doesnt matter which technology is better or which technology is better marketed, because the only thing that matters is which one does the public think will win. People generally hold off buying in these situations until they have reason to believe that one will win. No one wants to end up with the technology that loses and thereby becomes obsolete.

Case in point (and mentioned already here): the betamax technology was actually better than VHS, but VHS won. So its not always that the "best" technology wins.

As for this particular battle, I have no idea.

I just saw a segment on the Today show about Blu-Ray versus HD-DVD. The tech guy said even though he thought HD-DVD was better technology, there are already a lot of things being released with Blu-Ray technology so he thinks that's going to win out based on early buyers choosing what is more useful right now.

This past Saturday, we were at Jerry's Records and I could have bought Woodstock and The Last Waltz on laserdisc for 10 bucks each. The dude even told me where I could go find a laserdisc player.

When I was in college (which is longer ago than I would like to admit) my dorm had a fundraiser and with the money we had the choice of buying a VCR or a laserdisc player. I remember there was lots of discussion but the laserdisc faction won out. It seemed like a good choice at the time ...