Cost-Effective Overdrive

I don't know if this topic has been discussed yet, though I'm sure it has in some degree. I'm looking for suggestions as to a good overdrive pedal for my setup (SG + AC30) in order to add a good Wilco/Neil Young crunch to my playing. It'd be nice if the pedal wasn't a whole lot more than $100 (US).

heres this....

the FAB Overdrive.

they are 15 bucks and sound great.

its like a toy pedal, but honestly outperforms many expensive ones.

its based on an old boutique pedal.

they are cheap and great. most that buy them love them

i own one and then the distortion they make too.

I don't know if this topic has been discussed yet, though I'm sure it has in some degree. I'm looking for suggestions as to a good overdrive pedal for my setup (SG + AC30) in order to add a good Wilco/Neil Young crunch to my playing. It'd be nice if the pedal wasn't a whole lot more than $100 (US).

save $50 and get a Crowther Hotcake - many people consider this the overdrive for an AC30

If you were already playing into a cranking amp and needed something for solos I'd say some sort of treble booster, but it doesn't appear that that's what you're looking for.

as others have posted in other OD/distortion threads, the problem with these types of pedals is that you'll never really know whether it's the right fit for you until you play them yourself, and even the same make/model of pedal can sometimes differ between productions.

I went through a phase of buying/selling quite a few of them through ebay at one time, and while I can't speak for the status of ebay these days, back then it helped out alot. I ended up with quite a few nice pedals for not a lot of $$. Just a thought...

I'm a big fan of the DOD 250 reissue. It's based on the MXR Dist+ circuit, but it has less gain so it's more of an overdrive than a distortion. It doesn't affect my tone (near as I can tell), so it sounds like my amp and guitar, only overdriven. They're about $40 new on Musicians Friend and other online gear sites.

the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive is quite nice(so i hear). especially with the Keelor mod. $80-100+

Those seem really nice, but I don't think a lot of people prefer Tubescreamer-type pedals with AC-30s, which unfortunately rules out a lot of nice, cheap ODs (Digitech Bad Monkey, Boss SD1 both ~ $40, used Vox Valvetone $80-100, etc...)

• 2 months later...

I agree on the Hotcake with your amp -- and choice of music. Been through several ODs in the past year or so including Boss, Barber, Fulltone. You can find the Hotcake at www.pedalgeek.com. Buy it when you can find it. They are usually out of stock.

I know your price range is up to $100, but as far as cost effective goes, I don't think anyone's better for the price than Menatone. The Top Boost in a Can and Blue Collar are great overdrives that can be thick enough to be used as full on distortions, and everything else they make is awesome, too.