:upset

Guitarist splits from Duran Duran

Duran Duran guitarist Andy Taylor has quit the band during the US leg of their world tour.

A statement on behalf of the group described the relationship with Andy Taylor as unworkable and one that could not be resolved.

The group, fronted by Simon Le Bon, was one of the biggest acts of the 1980s, reforming five years ago.

A spokesperson for Duran Duran said the tour will continue, with a session guitarist taking Taylor's place.

The news came just hours ahead of the group's concert in Chicago.

New groups

A statement from the remaining members, Simon Le Bon, Nick Rhodes and John and Roger Taylor, said a "gulf" had developed between them which meant they could no longer work effectively together.

It continued: "Although obviously disappointed and saddened about this, we are excited about the next chapter of the Duran Duran story."

The band formed in Birmingham in 1978 and found success with hits such as Rio and Wild Boys, selling tens of millions of records worldwide.

After side projects with groups Arcadia and Power Station in the mid-80s, the band members reformed for the Bond theme View to a Kill in 1985, but Andy Taylor and drummer Roger Taylor quit a year later.

John Taylor departed in 1997 but approached Le Bon and Rhodes in 2000 with the suggestion of reforming, and Roger and Andy Taylor then returned.

Story from BBC NEWS

I don't know when you people are sarcastic or not :ermm I actually like Duran Duran I am not going to deny it. Their Self Titled debut is Awesome(Rio is good too!). Friends of Mine, Sound of Thunder and Planet Earth are great songs. I even liked Astronaut. I saw them 3 times with all 5 members and I could tell that Andy didn't fit in any more. He would turn his guitar all the way up to drown out the other members. Hey if you don't like them no biggie but I don't think you can deny their musical influence??? :dancing

Whom, exactly, have they influenced?

I never could stand 'em.

Umm lets see...the Synthesizers what where they responsible for? Most of all 80's music!!!! Don't forget Duran Duran started in 1979...their influence was huge for the 1980's as was the Cure and Depeche Mode.

Also Duran Duran where one of the first groups on MTV to make music videos. Rio was a hugely important music video and was way ahead of its time!

PS There were alot of influential bands I can't stand (Metallica) but I know they wre important to music.

Synth power!!!! :rock :P

I was a huge Duran Duran fan when I was 14. some of the newer stuff is pretty good. I can't believe they've been around for nearly 25 years.

Umm lets see...the Synthesizers what where they responsible for? Most of all 80's music!!!! Don't forget Duran Duran started in 1979...their influence was huge for the 1980's as was the Cure and Depeche Mode.

Also Duran Duran where one of the first groups on MTV to make music videos. Rio was a hugely important music video and was way ahead of its time!

So, Duran Duran are responsible for the '80s?

That's not a compliment.

I saw DD in 98ish, when it was just Simon and Nick, with Warren and some others.

Woulda been a good show, but it was memorable mostly for the fact that when their sound system kicked 3/4s through the show, they went acoustic and the whole theater was singing along to Rio and a few others. Good times.

Duran Duran had some good numbers. My little sister covered pretty much every square inch of her bedroom walls with pictures of the keyboard player.