The Dismantling Of CBGB

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2006...ismantling.html

Those urinals are the most disgusting things I've ever seen.

We have a few of the tiles from the bathroom floor. Al chipped them out with a knife at the Blondie/Dictators show the night before they closed. I told him he couldn't let them touch any surface in the house unless they were soaked in bleach first.

We have a few of the tiles from the bathroom floor. Al chipped them out with a knife at the Blondie/Dictators show the night before they closed. I told him he couldn't let them touch any surface in the house unless they were soaked in bleach first.

Can't say I blame you for that. But herein lies the paradox: if you clean them, do they lose their mystique? Soak them in bleach and then all you have are a handful of standard bathroom tiles. Maybe it was the years of accumulated urine/blood stains on them special. I can't believe I just wrote that. :barf

I'm not sure what I think about the dismantling/relocating plans. Seems destined to end up as a Hard Rock Cafe type thing. :hmm

Can't say I blame you for that. But herein lies the paradox: if you clean them, do they lose their mystique? Soak them in bleach and then all you have are a handful of standard bathroom tiles.

I'm willing to lose a little of the mystique in order to avoid contracting hepatitis or overdosing on a drug cocktail by merely handling them. :lol

• 4 years later...

CBGB Lives - as an overpriced slice of pizza.

From Gothamist: Two Boots (the one at 74 Bleecker Street) is introducing a "CBGB (OMFUG)" pizza, to be unveiled this Friday by Lenny Kaye, best known for being a part of the Patti Smith Group. What toppings go with dark clubs, dirty bathrooms, and the smell of stale beer? They're going with chicken, broccoli, garlic and basil pesto. Why? Because the first letter in each ingredient spell out CBGB. And it's time to loosen those pursestrings nostalgic punks: one slice will cost you $3.75. This is all just kind of... depressing.

Oye! On the last week of CBGB's existence something pretty cool happened to me. I walked by the door with a friend from out of town. Spoke to the guy at the door. I said I know this place won't exist in the next few days and I got a friend from out of town would you mind if we checked it out. He said no problem. So here I was me and my friend and we had CBGB's all to ourselves including the backstage and it was cool to soak it in be for demolition!