The Police may reunite in 2007

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

umm...yeah, that would be me. they shouldn't have any problem with a well-planned stadium tour. once the intial dates are announced, it would gain momentum, dates added and i'm sure would be the top money making tour of 2007/08. they are at best inconsistent live, but when they are on...they are on. i'm very much looking forward to it.

I have a hard time picturing The Police filling places like Giants Stadium, is all. Sure there's a market for them, but are enough people going to sit in enormous stadiums to make it worth their while? With the age-group, I have doubts. I could very well be wrong, though. Time will tell.

As I've stated, and others, I'd love to see them again but definitely will not be attending a huge stadium show. I wonder how many others out there feel the same....

well, i still can't get why people pay to see the rolling stones. so...there you go...

i would prefer to see the police in a more scaled down venue, but considering how long it's been and how old they are, this likely won't be a continuing project for the three. so...to satisfy the fans a stadium tour would be a necessary evil. not my preference by any means, but it's been a loooong time since i was in junior high.

Off the subject, though this thread made me think of it -- I'd be interested in seeing a cumulative attendance figure for all Rolling Stones shows throughout the years. Has anyone ever performed in front of more total people than Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, and Charlie Watts? I rather doubt it.

I am sure The Grateful Dead may come close -

For shear number of shows played, alone. The Dead were not consistantly selling out shows until the late 80s/early 90s. I'd venture to bet the Stones have been selling out shows since the early 70s.

I'd bet the Dead come close.

what are the odds of one of them dying onstage? i'll bet keith is the last one standing.

Andy Summers is about the same age (maybe older?) than Keith and Mick, and Sting/Copeland aren't far behind. What's age got to do with how hard you rock out though, right?

Keith would undoubtedly be the last one standing, though, as he's reportedly made of Kryptonite.

I am pumped Dave Matthews wont be playing at Wrigley Field, as a lifelong Cubs fan I think that would further perpetuate a negative stereotype about us Cubs fans , if the Police came it would be... glorious.

didnt Jimmy Buffet already take care of that stereotype last year??? :yeaahh

Off the subject, though this thread made me think of it -- I'd be interested in seeing a cumulative attendance figure for all Rolling Stones shows throughout the years. Has anyone ever performed in front of more total people than Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, and Charlie Watts? I rather doubt it.

Paul McCartney probably comes really close.

He's up there, but I doubt he's anywhere near the Stones, or even the Dead. He hasn't toured nearly as often, I'm guessing. Plus, the years that he probably could have been playing to the most people ('67-'69) he wasn't touring at all. edit: OK, that's probably not true -- shows weren't quite as big back then, I'm guessing. But still, being in a studio-only band during those years put him at a bit of a deficit.

He sure plays to big crowds when he does tour, though.

The Stones were playing huge stadium shows back when virtually no one else was. They've been playing to 30,000 or more (usually a lot more) since what, the late '60s? And they're seemingly always on tour. Even with the Dead's tireless touring, I just don't think anyone approaches the Stones. (Had Jerry lived longer, the Dead might have closed the gap a bit.)

I was skeptical when I read that, but apparently he's done a lot of tours since the early '70s. Add in a shitload of people he played for with the Beatles, and you might be right about Paul coming close to the Stones. Here's a site that lists Paul's tours since '72 (I couldn't find a comparable site for the Stones):

http://www.mcbeatle.de/macca/tour/index.html

Grateful Dead was my first guess, but they played mostly theater shows up until sometime in the '80s.

OK, that's probably not true -- shows weren't quite as big back then, I'm guessing.

Actually, the Beatles played a bunch of stadium shows in the US from '64 to '66, so those are big numbers. Paul is a good contender, though the Stones probably win this contest.

Actually, the Beatles played a bunch of stadium shows in the US from '64 to '66, so those are big numbers. Paul is a good contender, though the Stones probably win this contest.

'65-66, technically (they played the first "stadium" show in rock history at Shea Stadium in August 1965 ... I found a figure of 55,600 for attendance at that show).

'65-66, technically (they played the first "stadium" show in rock history at Shea Stadium in August 1965 ... I found a figure of 55,600 for attendance at that show).

Oops, thanks for the correction (edit: nevermind, you're incorrect...see my next post).

From a BBC article from last year:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4757664.stm

"...Earlier this month, more than one million fans saw the Rolling Stones play a free concert in Brazi..".

I don't think anyone is going to top the Stones.

Edit: Accorsing to that site, they were playing some stadium shows in '64, but it wasn't until '65 that stadiums became the norm.

Yeah, that's why Wikipedia sucks. :lol

I did a *very* quick tabulation and came up with a figure of 1,130,332 total attendees in North America. The Stones probably do that in a couple of weeks, a month tops.

Yeah, that's why Wikipedia sucks. :lol

I did a *very* quick tabulation and came up with a figure of 1,130,332 total attendees in North America. The Stones probably do that in a couple of weeks, a month tops.

Nice work adding it up. Yeah, the Stones are way ahead of everyone else. That Brazil show was a million or more, Altamont was 300,000 or so. Thaose two shows alone are more than most successful bands will ever play for. Throw in the decades of stadium tours and there's no contest.