Jon Brion in Chicago

mitts off, lou!! :pirate
Not to worry, we don't have a movie or music "industry" here, so he will undoubtedly remain in LA where he belongs. But it was genuinely moving to hear him talk about how much he likes Chicago, not simply because he was having a ball playing here, that could happen anywhere, but because how unique Chicago seems to him. I wish I could actually completely agree with him, but just as every metropolitan (and small and medium town for that matter) area is now becoming one homoginized mess, Chicago is not that different. The entire uniqueness of Chicago, while still evident, is slow (or not so slowly) disappearing along with that of the rest of America.

I was reading "Richard Nickel's Chicago" over the weekend and the destruction of our architectural legacy is stunning. Even though much of it disappeard during the 50s and 60s, it continues to disappear with every square inch of open space (or older buildings) being turned into condos and chain stores in many parts of town. I know this is not what this thread is about, but even the uniqueness of Chicago's neighborhoods is slowing being erroded by non-stop and unthoughtful development. Even the area around The Hideout (I just passed it this morning) is being eaten up quickly by gentrification and urban develpment. In 10 years the area may actually have a parking problem if things continue as they appear to be headed.

LouieB

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic