Jon Brion in Chicago

Lou, you might want to check out the performer who's there the week before, I think he'd be right up your alley:

Howard Fishman

The Basement Tapes Project at Steppenwolf

Yea, I checked out the entire schedule..I am sure this will be interesting, but would be more interesting (watching someone recreate the Basement Tapes) in a club or something. This seems kind of formal. Bill Frizzel might be cool and KAHIL EL ZABAR AND FRIENDS would be okay too.

LouieB

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wish someone would put up at least one song from Largo where he builds the tracks up one instrument at a time and loops them. i'll probably never get to see him in Cal, and i would love to see what this is even like. it was cool to see him backing Fiona at Largo on the DualDisc of her last album.

i believe one short clip on youtube shows Jon imitating Tom Waits singing Radiohead's Creep. pretty funny and dead on.

Here's some grainy and noisy footage of Jon building a song: Happy with You

It's not video, but here's an audio clip of a song build of an original Jon Brion composition that has yet to grace an album: I'm Always Trying

Largo is very strict about recording instruments, which is why it's so hard to find clips of any sort.

Has anyone been to largo in the "standby" line? I'm going tonight and not sure how early a Jon Brion show line will fill up...

If no one gives tips, I'm getting there at 7:30 for 8:30 doors....?

they start taking people inside around 8:15ish? so getting to the stand by line at 8:30 for the first set (if there will be two sets) is a bad idea. i've never waited in it but that line is always pretty long by the time i get to the reserved line around 7-7:30. i guess it all depends on the night.

Has anyone been to largo in the "standby" line? I'm going tonight and not sure how early a Jon Brion show line will fill up..

Oops! We were on the road, and not checking in here much at all. Alison was right -- the line was pretty substantial by 7:30. Did you get in? It was a very intense show, and Heroes is still roaring around in my head. Eeesh, that man is glorious.

Has anyone been to largo in the "standby" line? I'm going tonight and not sure how early a Jon Brion show line will fill up...

were you by any chance, wearing a death cab t-shirt and eating a slice of pizza?

I was asleep at the switch. If anyone has tix (2, Amy and I) they won't be using, please PM me. The few tickets that are still available are at a completely different altitude.

:frusty Fuckstick.

who are you again? :brow

( :cheekkiss )

Oops! We were on the road, and not checking in here much at all. Alison was right -- the line was pretty substantial by 7:30. Did you get in? It was a very intense show, and Heroes is still roaring around in my head. Eeesh, that man is glorious.

We were the last people they let in, i got there around 7:15-7:20ish, and for the show stood underneath the exit sign on the way to the bathroom. And yeah, "Heroes" was amazing.

were you by any chance, wearing a death cab t-shirt and eating a slice of pizza?

No, I was wearing a wilco jacket and was offered a "pizza that tastes sort of like cinnamon" from cosmic pizza, but declined. :D

• 1 month later...

Looking forward to reading reports of this. I hope Jon's still playing when I have some disposable income ten years down the line, until then I'll listen to bootlegs and read Uyen's blog while eating Ramen :).

--Mike

Cool. I picked up tickets for this on the off chance it was Brion.

Anyone know of any extras for sale for Friday @ Steppenwolf? I slept on that shit.

I know there were a couple people over on SOMB that were trying to sell their tickets.