Jon Brion in Chicago

On top of the fact that John was on fire both nights, was the fact that he genuinely seemed to be enjoying the idea of playing in Chicago and kept saying what a great town we have and how he intended to come back to play really soon. Too bad we have not much of a recording industry here, because maybe we could convince him to move here. He reeled off a bunch of names of folks who had come from here including Wilco, which was also a nice tribute to Chicago as well.

Great shows, but Sunday was totally nuts it was so good. Sadly I was out of the room for Famous Blue Raincoat. I needed a short break around that time and was talking to Tim.

IS there a recording of this???

LouieB

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as great as Friday's show was, Sunday's show took it by the neck, and tossed it off the top of the Hancock.

:lol The Hideout was just such a perfect location for Jon. The whole weekend was pretty glorious, though.

I have some pictures as well.

favorite non-Jon quotes:

Requester: "She Caught The Katy!"

Audience Member: "Who said 'She caught the caty'?"

Random Jerk: "Your mom"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Requester: "The Sulu Dance!"

Another Audience Member: "Baloon Knot"

:w00t is there any way i could get that from you? i cant believe sunday night was even better than friday (friday was pretty freaking incredible), wish i coulda been there..glad you all had fun though!

I think the correct quote is "PM on the way"

as great as Friday's show was, Sunday's show took it by the neck, and tossed it off the top of the Hancock.

The Steppenwolf was my first Jon Brion show and it was as close to sex in pleasure as anything else I'd ever experienced. So if Jon Brion shows, like sex, get any better, I don't even need to know about it. :i'manidiotsmilie

Just when I thought I couldn't be more green with envy.

You know your name was whispered in a sigh-y manner by each of us the minute we realized he was gonna take the Leonard Cohen request and run with it, right?

BTW, Friday's show was spectacular. I had invited people who'd never seen Jon before, including a couple who flew from DC to be there because I told them they should (how's that for pressure?). It was the best introduction to Jon I could've wished for. People who didn't go to the Hideout shouldn't be regretting a thing.

Nevertheless, I have every intention of using Aricandover's description as frequently as I possibly can, cuz it's pretty much exactly right (and, yes, I do believe it was a direct hit :)).

Nevertheless, I have every intention of using Aricandover's description as frequently as I possibly can, cuz it's pretty much exactly right (and, yes, I do believe it was a direct hit :)).

Meanwhile, we all ignore Skyflynn's depraved description. Has he no shame?

The Hideout certainly is one of the coolest places on the planet. Where else does one of the best vocalist in the country (Kelly Hogan) tend bar when not out on tour?? It was nice to see and talk to her. What a night...I am still trying to recover.

Funniest moment.....John revealing the words of the Bee Gee's "Staying Alive." Absolutely hysterical.

LouieB

Funniest moment.....John revealing the words of the Bee Gee's "Staying Alive."

The line in question is "We can try to understand the New York Times' effect on man" and I checked -- it's repeated every verse. I honestly never bothered to know!

(I would be neglecting my Obsessed Fan duties if I didn't mention that his name is spelled "Jon")

(I would be neglecting my Obsessed Fan duties if I didn't mention that his name is spelled "Jon")
Yea, I don't know why I keep spelling it with the "h". Gotta get the h outta here I guess.

LouieB

I was just thinking that one of the most satisfying aspects of the shows was that it was just Jon on his own. As much as I loved seeing Benmont and Glenn on the Intonation stage with Jon last summer, I was glad that the audience was forced to see Jon on his (considerable) merits and not as a footnote to some of the bigger names with whom he's associated--not that I'd turn down a guest appearance by any of Jon's friends (except for a couple, maybe).

I guess it all comes down to the sentiment that's already been posted all over this thread: Wow, what a pair of shows and what a great bunch of people we saw this weekend... :wub