I recently started getting into to the national heavily after seeing their guitar player and glen do a collaboration in cincinnati mid last year. Their alligator cd and their self titled debuts are awesome. I was wondering if sad songs for dirty lovers is any good? I have never seen them discussed on this forum before. Are there any fans of theirs here?

After Alligator I became a really big fan, I think they are amazing. Matt is a fantastic songwriter.

Sad Songs is really good, I'd say definitely better than their s/t. It's a really strong album start to finish.

They seem to improve every album and the new one is due in May, so I have really high hopes.

I liked "Alligator."

Me, I like the first cd the most and it's sorta nice that we all can't agree on which release is best. Sure sign of quality. The Cherry Tree Ep with a Tom Waits like drunken sing along in 'A Reasonable Man' is also worth picking up.

You should check out the videos of Vincent Moon. I think he did 'Daughters of the Soho Riots', 'Abel' and 'Lit Up' for the band and then is producing some DVD that I hope is a bonus on the new cd.

http://mathieu.saura.free.fr/site/nuit/index.html

Love them and all the concert footage he seems to have

http://mathieu.saura.free.fr/site/nuit/lit.../lifeindex.html

I must play 'Daughters' at least once a month and I don't know about you guys, but I totally get reminded of Tindersticks whenever I listen to the band. Don't get me wrong - that's a very good thing.

Yes. Sad Songs is just as good or better than Alligator. Really looking forward to the new one.

I agree. Both of these records are terrific. One of my current favorite bands, I have yet to catch live.

That'll change this year; ( fingers crossed ).