May be unneccesary, but it sure would be fun.

the farther wilco goes on on a musical limb, the more i long for the ut era.

btw: i was watching some performances of the a.m. version of wilco last night and got warm fuzzies.

i loved ut/early wilco because they were bringing the music back to basics and i totally bought into it.

things progress over time, but i guess i just miss the early days.

I agree with you, to a point. My take on it is that as much as I was once addicted to UT's directness and "back to basics" approach, I feel like they had painted themselves into a corner by being so heavily indebted to the sound, style, and attitude of their influences. I really have no idea where they could have gone after March and Anodyne--in retrospect, they almost had to break up so they could move on, musically.

I do miss the looseness and energy of early-Wilco (BT will likely always be the Wilco record that gets the most spins by me--my musical "comfort food"), but at the same time I don't at all mind the "musical limb" they go out on. To my ears, they're hardly "experimental" or "difficult" to listen to. I admire the willingness to try things that puts them out of their comfort zone--frequently it works great, so its interesting to listen to. Like I said, I do miss the energy of the early stuff, so I do wish they'd revisit a lot of it more often in concert than they do, but hey, that's up to them. And everything goes in cycles. A lot of the newer material seems to be recapturing that more "direct" vibe, so who knows? Maybe they're feeling the same way you do right now. :cheers

Guest Speed Racer
The big money aspect would be minimal seeing how neither incarnation does the arena circuit anyway. Playing large clubs and theaters will not do much for them at this stage. Let it go.

You're talking to the same crowd that annually shells out $400 to hear Jeff play 'Gun' in some stranger's living room.

Guest Speed Racer

But how are you getting there...? :lol

I'm just saying that while Jeff or Jay may not be able to draw in as many bodies per any given show, they do certainly have fans that will shell out three to four figures easily throughout the course of any given tour - and will particularly shell out dough under the ruse of 'charity' - and quite possibly your own setlist...

I saw Jay in Newark a few friday's ago, played stuff from his new "Gob Iron: Death songs for the living"

It was good but Jay looked a little fucked up. Eyes all red and stuff like that.

I don't know whether jay would be up to it, seeing how hes playing small gigs in newark and Jeff's the leader of a band that sells out shows easy as eating candy

The big money aspect would be minimal seeing how neither incarnation does the arena circuit anyway. Playing large clubs and theaters will not do much for them at this stage. Let it go.

Well let's be honest...Wilco's a bigger draw anyway. So the only one who would be making any extra off of it would be Farrar. So if Jeff was going to do it, it wouldn't be about the cash.

I'd go see Uncle Tupelo. That being said, I got into Wilco first, so the affect wouldn't be nearly as life altering for me as it would be for the old UT fans who saw them in shitty little dumps through out the mid-west, clawing their way up in the world. I never saw that legend; I read about it in books, and heard 10 year old records of it. So unfortunately seeing UT would never have the same affect on me as it would some people on this board.