May be unneccesary, but it sure would be fun.

I think it's fairly self explanatory.

So instead of an Uncle Tupelo reunion, you want Jay Farrar to join Wilco? So there can be three guitarists in a band that only needed one, and so Nels can take the place of a superior multi-instrumentalist on mando and lap steel? Does Nels even play mandolin?

So instead of an Uncle Tupelo reunion, you want Jay Farrar to join Wilco? So there can be three guitarists in a band that only needed one, and so Nels can take the place of a superior multi-instrumentalist on mando and lap steel? Does Nels even play mandolin?

Nicholas cage does.

017~Captain-Corelli-s-Mandolin-Posters.jpg

Dude, I was kidding (except for the Anodyne line up thing). And Tupelo, at least at the end, needed two guitars.

I was reading the most recent Chuck Klosterman book. The book included a reprinted interview with Tweedy conducted right before drug rehab. Anyway, Jeff said he wouldn't say no to a reunion, but he wasn't sure if he could play the bass parts anymore. Not that he doesen't remember them, but not sure he could play the bass that fast anymore.

Dude, I was kidding (except for the Anodyne line up thing). And Tupelo, at least at the end, needed two guitars.

Me too. ;)

But the only song they really needed two guitars for was Sandusky. Still, I think if they're going to do a reunion, they ought to start with the three, then bring out Max and John (hell, maybe even Ken) for the second set. Brian Henneman plays the encores, of course.

I was reading the most recent Chuck Klosterman book. The book included a reprinted interview with Tweedy conducted right before drug rehab. Anyway, Jeff said he wouldn't say no to a reunion, but he wasn't sure if he could play the bass parts anymore. Not that he doesen't remember them, but not sure he could play the bass that fast anymore.

But since when has he been concerned with playing a song live exactly the same way it was played on the record?

Guest Speed Racer

After about ten years out, reunion efforts always seem so clunky and awkward to me. Like 40 year-olds playing ultimate frisbee to 'feel young' (apologies to any of you out there). For a benefit concert? Sure, if they did it for the money, for a cause, that'd be great. To get back that sweet, sweet feelin'? It wouldn't be the same.

More than anything, I would be happy if Jeff and Jay were able to make peace with each other outside of the compliment/criticism volleys in the press. If they already have, color me satsified.

history has demonstrated that almost every decent band ultimately reforms to live out the glory days/cash in. that puts the potential uncle tupelo reunion in the eventually-likely category. but these things don't usually happen until the participants are on the down slope of creating great material so I'd wait a bit before holding my breath.

For a benefit concert? Sure, if they did it for the money, for a cause, that'd be great.

farm aid?

i could see a one-time-only kind of thing someday.

but they are too far apart to go on an actual tour together imo. both personally and musically.

Like 40 year-olds playing ultimate frisbee to 'feel young'

:hmm

farm aid?

If its ever going to happen, that would be my guess for when/how it would come about.

Really, I see no need for it. Musically, Jeff/Jay's paths have diverged and I'm not sure how interested they are in what one another is doing anymore--let alone revisiting stuff they did together when they were kids. The only draw for me would be that it would be fun to see them rock out again on the early UT material. Other than that, meh, I'd rather hear Wilco. (which is interesting b/c I once worshiped at the UT altar)

the farther wilco goes on on a musical limb, the more i long for the ut era.

btw: i was watching some performances of the a.m. version of wilco last night and got warm fuzzies.

i loved ut/early wilco because they were bringing the music back to basics and i totally bought into it.

things progress over time, but i guess i just miss the early days.