The Autumn Defense 2/10

I just got back from seeing the Autumn Defense at Mojo's in Columbia, Missouri. I'll post more (probably) later, including a setlist (which I pilfered from the stage and later got signed by Pat and John). I also have a bunch of pictures and depending on their quality, a few videos taken by my sister's digital camera.

The guys were all in top form and there was actually a fair amount of banter. This show took place at a small bar here in Columbia and it was dismally empty. I'd guess maybe 50-75 people were there, tops. To make matters worse, the sound system was acting up resulting in a buzz during lulls in the music that, "Sounds like the refrigerator in my old apartment," according to Pat.

This was my first time seeing the Autumn Defense live and definitely won't be the last (they're coming through Kansas City later in the month, I just may have to make the trip). The harmonizing was spot on (as would be expected) and all of the instrumentation was performed flawlessly. Not only that but after the show John and Pat hung around the bar and chatted up all fifteen of us left ten minutes after the show. All in all, it was a great time with some great music for only ten bucks, plus the cost of a few brews.

Like I said earlier, photos to come.

Setlist:

Canyon Arrow

Estate Remains

City Bells

Sun in California

Winterlight

Feel You Now

The Answer

Written in the Snow

This Will Fall Away

We Would Would Never Die

Where You Are

Spend Your Life

Tuesday Morning

Simple Explanation

Encore:

Sentimental Lady (Fleetwood Mac Cover)

thanks for the review and set list. I'm planning on taking in the Dallas gig this Sunday, are the Autumn Defense as taper friendly as Wilco?

I was hoping to set up a stand if so.

dave

I can't imagine them not being, though I didn't ask Pat or John when I had the chance.

The lack of audience may be a trend... Autumn Defense is set to play Milwaukee soon, and this week the Pabst Theatre started giving away free tickets to their email subscribers. There's no catch; just go online and print one off.

The lack of audience may be a trend... Autumn Defense is set to play Milwaukee soon, and this week the Pabst Theatre started giving away free tickets to their email subscribers. There's no catch; just go online and print one off.

They are just like every other band. Some shows get big crowds, and then some don't. Just like albums sell more in certain areas The bigger city shows like LA I'll be going to many of them, so i'll definitely post!

thanks for the review and set list. I'm planning on taking in the Dallas gig this Sunday, are the Autumn Defense as taper friendly as Wilco?

I was hoping to set up a stand if so.

dave

Should not be an issue. Several shows of theirs in the past few years from the Chicago area have circluated here.

Videos:

Sun in California - http://www.sendspace.com/file/jvqu18

Simple Explanation - http://www.sendspace.com/file/r5tek4

you are the man! :D

I'm seeing them tonight in Norman, OK, so it's nice to hear that they're putting on a good show. It'll also be my first time seeing them, and I've only recently become familiar with their stuff.

Let me know how the show went!

I'd upload the video of Sentimental Lady (which is excellent) but it's like 309MB and sendspace only allows up to 300MB. If I had any sort of knowledge about video editing, I could probably cut off the lulls before and after the song and have it fit, but I don't, which elicits a sad face.

thanks for the great pics and videos!!! :yay

the style (formation?) of band is great, too.

i've seen the Autumn Defense's show only once in London, UK.

that was an "acoustic show", only John and Pat.

the show was so beautiful and pleasant!

really, though, they are so cool! :yes

Let me know how the show went!

Oh man, I'm crap at this sort of thing, so I'll just echo what most of what the OP said about the first show. Tiny venue, with John and Pat just hanging out beforehand, talking with people and selling stuff from their merch table. It was nearly-packed by the time Autumn Defense went on around 11:45, but the crowd had thinned out quite a bit as the show went on, which was disappointing. I guess those people were expecting something more Wilco-esque, I don't know. By the time the show was over at 12:45, there was maybe around three or four dozen people left.

As far as the setlist goes, like I mentioned before, I only recently started listening to them (meaning like within the last week), so I wasn't familiar enough with the titles to keep track. It did seem very similar to the one the OP posted, though, with one exception: They didn't do an encore, at least not that I'm aware of ("Simple Explanation" was the last song of the set, and then they came off stage and mingled with the remaining crowd, so I took off--I don't know if they jumped back on stage after that, but I'm guessing they probably didn't.) They played most of the new album, and a few tracks from Circles. Not a whole lot of stage banter. They played for almost exactly an hour.

Anyway, it was a good show. Tight set, good sound, good musicianship, and great harmonies, all for eight bucks. Plus, it's 1/3 of Wilco in an up-close-and-personal, intimate setting. Can't beat it.

that's probably why it thinned out so much, that's a late show...

Yeah, it was really late, at least for me. I'm used to these Wilco shows where they go on around 9:30 or so, but the opening band here didn't go on until about 10:45. Plus, I had been up since about six in the morning, so needless to say, I was beat. It was all I could do to stay awake for the forty-five minute drive home. . .