Hey you chicagoans....as mentioned in ummmm, I will be in the windy city march 17th through 20th. I have a few things I would like to do(millenium park and the art institute) but mainly I will be roaming the city looking for things to do. Record stores, restaurants, concerts, galleris, coffee shops, any recommendations at all are welcomed. Where do I get original chicago pizza and/or hot dogs? Also, if any of you would like to meet up and hang out, that would be cool too. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone hook this guy up with some old threads here?

Get a copy of the Reader when you get here, or if you want a copy of Time Out. Visit Laurie's Planet of Sound in Lincoln Square. You can get hot dogs nearly anywhere and there are tons of pizza joints also. Visit neighborhoods if you get a chance rather than just the areas adjacent to downtown. Places people seem to like are Wicker Park, Wrigleyville, Lincoln Square, Lakeviewf, Andersonville and a few others. Check out some of the ethnic neigbhorhoods, like Pilsen, Devon Avenue, Albany Park, etc. Go to the Hideout, Schubas or any number of our other great clubs. Take in a play at a storefront theater; we have 150 theaters here. There are more coffee Houses than you can shake a stick at now, one in just about every neighborhood mentioned above.

LouieB

Laurie's Planet of Sound is surrounded by 6 coffee shops within 2 blocks, and only ONE is a Starbucks! Time Out Chicago is going to have an article on Indie Record stores next week, though I still recommend the Reader as Lou said.

Hey you chicagoans....as mentioned in ummmm, I will be in the windy city march 17th through 20th. I have a few things I would like to do(millenium park and the art institute) but mainly I will be roaming the city looking for things to do. Record stores, restaurants, concerts, galleris, coffee shops, any recommendations at all are welcomed. Where do I get original chicago pizza and/or hot dogs? Also, if any of you would like to meet up and hang out, that would be cool too. Thanks in advance.

Where are you staying?

Palmer house for two nights and then at a friends apartment. I don't know what part of town she lives in.
If you have friends here they will help you out. Needless to say, you can do the museum route, since the Art Institute is certainly worth a day or half a day if you like that sort of thing.

The Grind in Lincoln Square is a small cool coffee house and the Kopi Cafe in Andersonville is also fun.

LouieB

Palmer house for two nights and then at a friends apartment. I don't know what part of town she lives in.

Like Louie said, the museums and Art Institute are easy to get to from The Palmer House. If you want to do the Lincoln Square thing, it's an easy 20-25 minute ride on the Brown Line elevated train which you can catch right by The Palmer House. If you can get there, a good place for a hot dog is Hot Doug's. I'll leave the pizza to others, because whatever I recommend someone will say that their place is better.

the 17th? watch out for a whole lot of drunk people pretending they are irish (well, some of them really are).

Most of them probably are cos there is no one left here now only the Polish and Lativans.

If you can get there, a good place for a hot dog is Hot Doug's. I'll leave the pizza to others, because whatever I recommend someone will say that their place is better.
Hot Dougs is fun if you can get there, but it is not near Lincoln Square. There are plenty of non-gourmet hot dog places all over Chicago. Just make sure they have Vienna Beef which is the Chicago Brand. There are several Giordanos downtown to get stuffed pizza and Pizzeria Uno is near north and not hard to get to and near alot of shopping and other touristy stuff.
is there a reason why we still don't have a "what to do in chicago" thread just pinned already?!
Yea, please do this so I don't have to write the same dumb shit every time..... :lol

LouieB

Thanks everyone for your help. I've changed the title so that it is long-term friendly. Maybe a moderator-type could pin it? I don't know.

With the whole pizza thing...is there an original place? What about Giordanos vs Ginos? I won't be going to Uno's simply because I can get that here...

I'll still welcome any more recommendations/things to try that people have, but it seems like maybe people are burt out on this subject. Thanks again and have a nice night.

Thanks everyone for your help. I've changed the title so that it is long-term friendly. Maybe a moderator-type could pin it? I don't know.

With the whole pizza thing...is there an original place? What about Giordanos vs Ginos? I won't be going to Uno's simply because I can get that here...

I'll still welcome any more recommendations/things to try that people have, but it seems like maybe people are burt out on this subject. Thanks again and have a nice night.

The original Numero Uno and Due (down the street from Uno) is not the same garbage you get at the chain restaurants. It is definitely some of the best pizza in Chicago and the country. For thin crust pizza, I recommend Pat's Pizza on Sheffield.

As far as things to do... you most definitely need to hit one of the many Chicago clubs for music one night. The short list would be Schubas, Double Door or the Hideout.

The original Numero Uno and Due (down the street from Uno) is not the same garbage you get at the chain restaurants. It is definitely some of the best pizza in Chicago and the country. For thin crust pizza, I recommend Pat's Pizza on Sheffield.

Pat's moved. It's now on the 2600 block of Lincoln.

For Chicago-style deep dish I like Lou Malnati's and Pequod's

SOME DECENT RECORD STORES:

These four are all near the Clark/Diversey/Broadway intersection:

Gramaphone

2nd Hand Tunes (Djangos)

Hi-Fi Records

Reckless Records (Broadway & Belmont)

North Lincoln:

Evil Clown

Laurie's Planet of Sound

Roscoe Village:

Hard Boiled Records

Wickertucky:

Reckless Records (Wicker Park)

RANDOM RETAIL:

Where to get kowality, cheap guitars & other musical instruments:

Midwest Buy and Sell

Like ebay, but IRL:

Uncle Fun

Best Mindfuck Yet:

Quimby's

RESTAURANTS:

Bite

--BYOB, right next to the Empty Bottle. Favorite restaurant in Chicago.

FEED

--BYOB, right next to the Continental. Like if Bloodshot Records sponsored a restaurant.

Tamale Guy

--goes around to bars that don't serve food in Wicker/Ukie/East Village

Muffin Lady--What happened to her?

Mama Desta's

--Ethiopian food--just north of Belmont on the west side of Clark...

terrific food + their home-made honey wine is cheap, strong and

tasty.

Honey 1 BBQ

--formerly far West side BBQ place. Not much for ambiance, great ribs.

Thai Eatery

--across the street from Honey-1 BBQ. Good curries, terrific spicy salads, ok Pad Thai. Appetizers are all excellent.

Flo

--Place most likely to see Sally Timms sharing a bottle of wine with Neko Case.

Lula Cafe

--Like Bite, but not as good and it costs more.

Mexican places around Chicago outnumber pizza and hot dog places combined.

A couple of the best taco stands in the city (now more a subject of debate than best pizza/hotdog):

La Pasadita

Chavas Tacos

Close to Millennium Park:

Giordano's (tucked away a bit on the Northside of Millennium Park)

-I liked their thin style pizza with pitchers of cheap beer.

Portillo's Hot Dogs

--pretty excellent cheap food.

J. Randolph

--kinda an odd place. good drinks. food is better than Bennigan's et al.

Miller's Pub & Restaurant

--4 am bar right downtown.

Boston Blackie's

--Burgers.

Other good restaurants around Chicago:

Green Zebra

--really good, really pricey veggie

La Creperie

--back patio in the summer months = an oasis in the city.

Maiz

-new mexican place near the Continental, Feed

Cleo's

--10 cent wings on Mondays. Good brunch on weekends, Free food late Saturday night.

Pizza Metro

-after the bar pizza

Hollywood Grill

-24 hour diner between the Hideout and Wicker Park

Wiener Circle

--food is aight. sort of a novelty thing and you have to go late at night if you want the promised entertainment.

Twisted Spoke

--Pretty good food, if overpriced. Terrific rooftop seating in the Summer.

Good drinks. Bartenders play a lot of Bloodshot and alt-country music.

Raw Bar

--next to the Metro/Smart Bar. good place for pre-Metro show drinks/tapas.

Renga Tei

--best sushi for the price in Chicago.

Wholly Frijoles

--included cuz it's right next door to Renga Tei, BYOB and closest to home-cooked Mexican food in a city inundated with Mexican cuisine.

SOME OF THE BETTER BARS:

Loop:

Cal's Liquors

bucktown/wicker/east/ukvillage:

Inner Town Pub (ITP)

Rainbo

Gold Star

J&M Tap

Ola's Liquors

Danny's

Happy Village

Estelle's 4 AM

The Continental 4 AM

(fmr Famous Pizza Lounge/Arlene's/Club Hiawatha )

Stella's @ Western and Walton--ran into like 1/2 of wilco there one night recently.

Along North Avenue East of Wicker Park:

Exit Inn 4 AM

The Hideout

Old Town Ale House 4 AM

Lincoln and Diversey:

Delilah's

Clark and Lawrence:

Carol's Pub 4 AM

Clark and Belmont:

L&L Tavern

Armitage between Ashland and Western:

Marie's Riptide 4 AM

Map Room

Milwaukee and Chicago Ave:

Matchbox

LOGAN SQ:

2 Way Lounge

Whirlaway

ROSCOE VILLAGE:

Village Tap

Far Northwest Side:

Flo's Algiers Lounge

Near South Side:

Skylark

what the heck does wickertucky mean? i get where wicker park and maybe bucktown come in but what else is in that?

i will second honey 1 (mmmmm!) and tamale guy but NOT la pasadita. ugh.

i really like Smokedaddy on the division strip in ukranian village for pulled pork, burgers, and reeeeally good fries. and right close by is the alliance bakery for yummy treats.

for some amazing Lebanese food go to Maza on Lincoln (i guess thats in licoln park). amazing food and service. its a nice place but not stuck up. the owner gave my friends and i free soup and dessert when i went for my birthday. the maza sampler thing is great and a meal by itself.