• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what the heck does wickertucky mean? i get where wicker park and maybe bucktown come in but what else is in that?

I know people who refer to Pennsylvania as "Pennsyltucky"; i.e. Pennsylvania + Kentucky, implying that Pennsylvania is kind of a backwater. I know next to nothing about Chicago neighborhoods, so I have no idea if this is applicable or not.

It's just "Sather," actually, but I completely agree.

As with everything in Chicago it is apostrophe S or just add an S for effect. Hence the term Jewels for the grocery store Jewel. Kind of a Chicago thing....

I am not sure who beadsman is (again with the S), but he knows his stuff. The thing about Uno is correct, the real thing quite good, but after a few decades you can get sick of it.

There are any number of great taco stands all over Chicago. A great place for either breakfast, lunch or after club fare.

(For better Ethiopian food go further north, but that's another story.)

LouieB

As with everything in Chicago it is apostrophe S or just add an S for effect. Hence the term Jewels for the grocery store Jewel. Kind of a Chicago thing....

I'm happy to know it doesn't only happen in Pittsburgh

(For better Ethiopian food go further north, but that's another story.)

Definitely. The far North side has the inner hoods beat for quality, tasty restaurants. Thai Pastry, Tank Noodles, Reza's, all the Ethiopian places in Edgewater--it's kinda far to go up there just to eat unless you live up there.

There's not a whole lot else to do, especially with the closing of the Lakeview Lounge ; ) And if you drive up there, it's most likely for Indian food which is nigh impossible to find along the Blue line. Mama Desta's potent, homemade honeywine (most places serve bottled honey wine, it's not as thick as the mead-like stuff Desta's serves) makes up for the hit or miss food and the rather unkempt look and the lackadaisal service. Btw, Pick Me Up further up Clark from Mama Desta's is a good place to get coffee and breakfast late night on the weekends.

My lists just scratch the surface. There are entire neighborhoods chock full of bars, restaurants and whatnot that I rarely make it to, e.g., UIC/Litttle Italy, Edgewater, Andersenville. And bars I drive by every day that I go to once a year (Fireside, Mutiny, Green Eye).

Taking the Brown Line out to Lincoln Square (Lincoln Lanes still open?), or the Blue Line to Damen/North or the Red Line out to Belmont are good afternoon into evening first trips from downtown for someone visiting Chicago.

Really? I went to that place recently and I thought it was horrible. Very odd place.... and not in a good way. What was I missing?

I do like a good portion of the places on your list.

Ah, yeah, some of the bars on that list are subject to qualifications as to when to go. Rainbo, for example, can be the worst bar in Chicago 10pm to close Friday and Saturday nights. Earlier Friday and Saturday evenings and some weeknights it's a good place for a 3.50 pint of good beer, some good tunes and quiet conversation.

Old Town Ale House is on there mostly cuz (i) it's a 4 am bar (ii) close to the Hideout. Like any other 4 am bar, Old Town is kind of annoying after 2 am, especially if you aren't totally shit-faced. I don't think I've ever been there earlier than 2 am--there are plenty of better, less pricey, less annoying bars to go to before 2.

But if you're at the Hideout and you wanna go to another bar after the Hideout shuts down @ 2 or 3, I think it's a better choice than Marie's. I rarely find people are willing to go to Exit--even though you can walk to Exit from the Hideout and it's also 4/5 am and has cheaper/better drinks than both Old Town and Marie's (Marie's doesn't even have draft and charges like $5 a bottle for Budweiser--the 4 am partial monopoly allows them to get away with it).

just watch ferris bueller and take notes. that's what everybody else does. see a cubs game...visit the art museum...try to find shermer, illinois...blah..blah..blah...

except substitute see a cubs game for....see a white sox game..

also i would recommend getting pizza at giordano's or Lou Malnati's (my favorite)

agreed...Uno's does kind of blow definitely OVERRATED

yea, i guess blow is kind of strong. but still, their crust tastes like it came out of a pillsbury can. with all the great joints in chicago, both thick and thin, theres no reason to waste your time or money there.

yea, i guess blow is kind of strong. but still, their crust tastes like it came out of a pillsbury can. with all the great joints in chicago, both thick and thin, theres no reason to waste your time or money there.

yeah ill never go to uno's again, not with such a great selection elsewhere, last time i had it they were giving it out for free when i was waiting in line for conan obrien.....but again Lou Malnati's deep dish sausage cannot be topped in my opinion they have the best crust

SOME OF THE BETTER BARS:

Clark and Belmont:

L&L Tavern

L&L!!! I love that place!!

Cool place to hang when the show you planned to see at the Vic gets sold out...

Many varieties of Irish Whisky on a chalkboard menu, and a jukebox full of cool tunes (one of very few places I have found the Replacements in the jukebox)

Play "Left of the dial" and try a glass of Connemara or Red Breast.

If you are not a drinker and plan to just drink water, bring a bottle with you... Trust me.

• 2 weeks later...

glad you're having a good time!

the palmer house is a terrific place to stay. the last time i was in chicago i got downtown briefly.

ahh, chicago. i am carrying an unused 5 day cta pass in my wallet, just in case... :shifty

• 5 months later...

We're considering a trip to Chicago the weekend of the 15th, though it's still just in the "maybe we should" stage.

If it happens, I think it's a safe bet that we'll be eating at Ethiopian Diamond at some point (haven't been there yet), and probably also at Amitabul on Milwaukee Avenue. :eat