Side With The Seeds

Ok well this is what I have so far, the second solo where Nels goes and shreds I have no clue what he's doing but I'll post what I have.

Side With The Seeds

Bb

The tires tar black

Ab-------------------Bb

The blacktop cracks

Bb

Leaves fall through

Ab----------Gb--------------Bb

Dark green enough to be blue

Bb

When the mysteries we believe in

Ab----------------Gm-------------Fm

Aren't dreamed enough to the true

Ebm--------------------Ab

Some side with the leaves

Eb----------------------Bb

Some side with the seeds

e ----------------------

b 8-6-8-8/11-6h8p6--

g ----------------------

d ----------------------

a ----------------------

e ----------------------

Bb

The tree top's stop

Ab---------------Bb

The rain applauds

Bb

The park grows dark

Ab------------Gb-------------Bb

The swings are slowly dying

Bb

But you and I will be undefeated

Ab----------Gm--------Fm

By agreeing to disagree

Ebm-------------------------Ab

No one wins but the theives

Eb--------Bb

So I side with anything

Bb

The street lights' glow

Ab---------------Bb

Comes and goes

Bb

And the sun comes back

Ab-----Gb---------------Bb

As we all can plainly see

Bb

But embracing the situation

Ab----------Gm-----------Fm

Is our only chance to be free

Ebm---------------Ab

I'll side with you

Eb------------Bb

If you side with me

I think the chords are pretty good but it's tricky to hear what Mikael is doing on the piano so help out if you hear anything better.

Ok now for the first solo part I figured this out on piano because I couldn't tell if Nels was tapping or just really fast tremolo picking or he has some sort of delay but here the first little bit.

e -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

b ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

g 8-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-9-10-9-10-9-10-9-10-9-10-10-11-10-11-10-11-10-11-10-11-13-13-13-13-15-15-15-15-15-

d ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

e ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then Nels goes into that tapping/delay thing which I haven't figured out yet and then comes this harmonizing solo between Nels and Jeff. Put I will post that later today. Please help make corrections or add anything.

Awesome song, in a 12/8 meter. The chords you wrote are essentially correct with some mistakes. I just cleaned it up a bit.

I'm not where I can write a lead sheet like a normally do, so I'm going to improv here and try something different.

Plus signs will be down beats, minuses are ups.

Verses will work like this-

+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - +
Bb
Bb/Ab						Bb
Bb
Ab		  F#maj7		Bb
Bb
Bb/Ab	 Gm7		   Fm
Ebm						  Ab
Eb (Bass plays a G initially)
Bb

As for the lick that you thought was tapping or delayed, I'm fairly sure it's played like this-

Gtr I (E A D G B E)

Lick 1									  Lick 2
 |--3--|  |--3--|  |--3--|  |--3--|		 |-3--| |-3--| |-3--| |-3--|
 E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E		 E  E E E  E E E  E E E  E E
||---------------------------------------||-||-------------------------------||
||o-------------------------------------o||-||o------6------6------6------6-o||
||--10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10--||-||--9-10---9-10---9-10---9-10----||
||o-------------------------------------o||-||o-----------------------------o||

Lick 3
  |-3--|  |-3--|  |-3--|  |-3--|	|-3--|  |-3--|  |-3--|   |-3--|
  E  E E  E  E E  E  E E  E  E E	E  E E  E  E E  E  E E   E  E E
|---------------------------------|----------------------------------||
|-------7-------7-------7-------7-|-------7-------7/------9--------9-||
|-10-11---10-11---10-11---10-11---|-10-11---10-11---11-13----11-13/--||

Lick 4
  |--3--|  |--3--|  |--3--|  |--3--|	|--3--|  |--3--|  |--3--|  |--3--|
  E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E	E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E
|-------------------------------------|-------------------------------------||
|-------11-------11-------11-------11-|-------11-------11-------11-------11-||
|----15-------15-------15-------15----|----15-------15-------15-------15----||
|/15-------15-------15-------15-------|-15-------15-------15-------15-------||

Lick 5
|-------------------------------------|----------------------------------------|
|----11----11----11----11----11----11-|----11----11----11----11----11----11----|
|-10----10----10----10----10----10----|-10----10----10----10----10----10-------|
|-------------------------------------|----------------------------------------|

|-3--|  |-3--| |-3--|  |-3--|   |-3--|  |-3--| |-3--|  |-3--|
 E  E E  E E  E E  E E  E E  E   E  E E  E E  E E  E E  E E  E
|-------------------------------|----------------------------------|
|---11---11---11---11---11---11-|---11---11---11---11---11---11----|
|-9----9----9----9----9----9----|-9----9----9----9----9----9-------|

|----13----13----13----13----13----13-|----13----13----13----13----13----13----|
|-11----11----11----11----11----11----|-11----11----11----11----11----11-------|

|----15----15----15----15----15----15-|----15----15----15----15----15----15----|
|-13----13----13----15----15----15----|-13----13----13----15----15----15-------|

Two notes: 1. Yes, I know, they're ridiculous, and I left out the chord stabs from the left channel. But if this part is really Nels' doing, then these kinds of shapes are concurrent with the other crap he typically does. 2. Ginandcigarettes, I know, I know, I probably mucked up the triplet groupings at the end. I think you know I'm too lazy/not as good at these things as you. Anyway, I hope to have the harmonies/maybe even a full transcription tomorrow after work, 'cause right now I gotta sleep before early classes tomorrow and then a full day of students in the evening.

• 1 month later...

Oooooooook I have the first solo tabbed out fairly well so maybe groslecain could help out with my bit that I added. Jeff and Nels harmonize this part and I just have Nels for now.

e --------13----------------13------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------11-13p11-10

b 13h15 ------------13h15-----13h14-13-11--13-11--8--9-8-6----6/14---13-11--13-11-9--Really messed up part (see below)11----------

g ------------15-15---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------/12-------------

d --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

e -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok here's the really fast thing Nels plays I believe. Help on this please.

e ---------6------------------6----------

b --6-8-9---9-8-6---6-8-9----9-8-6---

g 8-----------------8-------------------

d ---------------------------------------

a ---------------------------------------

e ---------------------------------------

Ok, I have this bugger figured out, at least Jeff's part.

Side With The Seeds v.Jeff

CAPO 1 - ALL STUFF IS IN RELATION.

Capo 1 is backed up by video evidence.  He never really NEEDS the capo, but whatev, it's Jeff Tweedy, he does whatever the fuck he wants.

Verses: He doesn't play.

Bridge lead-ins:
-- --- ------------
-10--10-4-4-0-0-0-0
-11--11-6-6-2-2-2-2
-10--10-7-7-3-3-2-2
-- --- -----------
-- --- -----------

Bridge #1 soloing:

-------------------------------------------------------------- 10-9-7-5~
-----------------------------------------------------------7-10---------
---- 9----- --9-----------------------------------------7----- ---------
-7-11---7-11---9b7-9-7-4-4h5p4-2--10-9-7-7h9p7-5--4--7-------- ---------
-------------------------------------------------------------- ---------
-------------------------------------------------------------- ---------

Bridge #2:  See Bridge lead-in, he just keeps playing that.

If you cats want chords to accompany the material (in relation to the capos), just ask and I'll add them in.

And, if you guys REALLY want, I can add in how I think Bridge #1 solo-ing can be accomplished as if Tweedy were playing Side With The Seeds solo (the thought of that makes me drool :))

• 2 months later...

hi guys,

from watching the AOL sessions video, nels is actually doing different stuff to what youve tabbed out in the lead breaks

the triplet rhythm he's playing is done across two strings throughout the section, with a down down up pick motion

so you get this

d d u d d u

B-------6-6---6-6-

G---10-----10-----

its very quick obviously, but these two notes give you the F drone he plays

the rest of the notes for the section run like this - im not gonna tab out rhythm, its the same the whole time

B----6-6-{---6-6-{----7-7-{----9-9-{----11-11-{---11-11-{-----13-13-{-----15-15-{

G-10-----{-9-----{-10-----{-10-----{-10--------{-9--------{-11---------{-13---------{

the other tabs for the following lead part are right. watch the video at aol sessions to see a good close up of the picking technique nels uses. tricky at first but you kinda settle into it after a few plays.

please comment on this!!!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

@heffer: I just found this board and sadly already purchased the sheet music. According to the sheet music, you are indeed correct. I have tried playing the same notes on the G string and other alternative methods, but you don't get the same sound. I am perplexed by how fast Nels plays this. I have been practicing this for a week and am still not nearly as fast. I'll try and get around to uploading my scans of the sheet music this week so you can compare the rest of what you have worked out.

Yes, it has the full solo. I have the 4 pages of sheet music for the two solos uploaded at the following links:

http://www.privet-drive.com/brendan/solo1.jpg

http://www.privet-drive.com/brendan/solo2.jpg

http://www.privet-drive.com/brendan/solo3.jpg

http://www.privet-drive.com/brendan/solo4.jpg

I might take them down in a few days just in case the RIAA wants to attack another broke college student, so save the files to your computer.

As far as that down-down-up picking goes, I think I have the hang of it. I believe that I am actually close in speed to Nels for this part, but that the lack of a delay pedal is making it hard to compare. I am in the middle of a bidding war on ebay for a digital delay pedal, so hopefully I'll be able to play this song properly in two weeks. No one has covered it properly on youtube, so I'd like to put a decent cover up.

Yes, it has the full solo. I have the 4 pages of sheet music for the two solos uploaded at the following links:

http://www.privet-drive.com/brendan/solo1.jpg

http://www.privet-drive.com/brendan/solo2.jpg

http://www.privet-drive.com/brendan/solo3.jpg

http://www.privet-drive.com/brendan/solo4.jpg

I might take them down in a few days just in case the RIAA wants to attack another broke college student, so save the files to your computer.

As far as that down-down-up picking goes, I think I have the hang of it. I believe that I am actually close in speed to Nels for this part, but that the lack of a delay pedal is making it hard to compare. I am in the middle of a bidding war on ebay for a digital delay pedal, so hopefully I'll be able to play this song properly in two weeks. No one has covered it properly on youtube, so I'd like to put a decent cover up.

Thanks man - this sheet music proves in the full solo just how fucking nuts Nels' playing is. You've copied th same sheet twice though - any chance you can post the page showing the first time through the nontuplet (!) part and the first harmony section with Jeff???

Also, I'm not sure if he's using delay on that part - to me, when the picking flows at the right speed it sounds identical to what he's doing

Thanks man - this sheet music proves in the full solo just how fucking nuts Nels' playing is. You've copied th same sheet twice though - any chance you can post the page showing the first time through the nontuplet (!) part and the first harmony section with Jeff???

Also, I'm not sure if he's using delay on that part - to me, when the picking flows at the right speed it sounds identical to what he's doing

Yeah, I'll head over to the library and scan that later today. You guys tabbed that out correctly though.

The first solo in the song is not too hard to learn, but God are the speed switches at the end of the second solo hard to nail. When I play other songs I know after practicing Side with the Seeds, they all sound 10x better because my fingers are so much more in tune and adroit.