News update from Nels

Lots of news from Nels about his upcoming releases

A new Nels Cline Singers record. Limited vinyl releases. A BOC cover with a Pepper on the side...

Nels has this to say about the new Wilco album:

"Yup. Out May 15th. There will no doubt be a ton of hype and maybe concomitant dread around this much-anticipated release - the first studio recording of the band with Pat Sansone and yours truly as members. I have never been involved with a "much-anticipated" release! I think I will just sit back and watch the parade... No amount of hype, dread, or blather can detract from my satisfaction with the music on this record. It was recorded totally independently in Chicago in the Wilco loft, and the experience was rewarding, relaxed, and fruitful."

Alright, more collection I can add of Nels Cline to mine. He is very prolific to say the least, but I can not wait to get the new Nels Cline Singers album, White Out Live because if you check out the YouTube videos with Nels Cline (its amazing), and basically anything else he did.

What did he do?

LouieB

Wilco

Sky Blue Sky

Nonesuch, 14 May

It's been a while since the last offering from Jeff Tweedy and Co, but three years of slavering from fans is about to be rewarded with this seventh studio album. And, boy, was it worth the wait. Though Wilco are known as purveyors of alt country rock, Sky Blue Sky is an astounding demonstration of their ability to move between soulful acoustic folk, jazzy blues, country skank and pumping rock. Tweedy has the vocal range of three people, from country lilt to blues ache to folk sweetness - all this often in the space of one song. And what songs they are. 'You Are My Face' is a classic Wilco segue, as a sleepy Beatleseque ditty is suddenly interrupted with a jazz guitar explosion twinned with Tweedy's achy blues voice before returning seamlessly to piano tinkle and smooth vocals. There are stories of love lost and found, told with originality, humour and sweetness. 'How can I warn you my tongue turns to dust? Lack of disgust doesn't mean that I don't care. It means I'm partially there,' sings Tweedy on the delicately beautiful 'Please Be Patient With Me'. The instrumentation is a mini-rock opera in itself. Glorious riffs, thumping piano and virtuoso guitar solos from Nels Cline are orchestrated with skill, complementing the intricately composed and woven melodies. Simple and soothing, yet rich and rewarding, this is an album you unknowingly yearn for, like a cool hand on a hot forehead. A great album from a band in their prime.

Katie Toms

(I was just being silly)