The Shins 3/14/07

Saw them at a small club here in Virginia after Chutes came out and thought the exact same thing. I love all three records, but they don't seem like a real band when you see them in concert. I don't know that I could put my finger on exactly why, but the bass player telling a stupid joke after every song definitely doesn't help. He did the same thing at the show I went to and that was 3 years ago.

Doesn't make much sense to me either though. I've seen them on ACL and several late night shows and they sound great. Regardless, thanks for the post. I was considering seeing them in DC at the beginning of the week, but it doesn't sound like I missed anything.

I don't get all this slagging of the Shins live. They are not MMJ, nor do they pretend to be. Perhaps everyone took Zach Braff's screenwriting too literally!

I saw them at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia Tuesday, March 13 (the night before MSG) and they seemed on. The new material is much more dense then their other records, so I have to admit the first fifth of the show was icy (with the exception of Sleeping Lessons and it's excellent build up and crescendo!)

I don't get all this slagging of the Shins live. They are not MMJ, nor do they pretend to be. Perhaps everyone took Zach Braff's screenwriting too literally!

Definitely liked Viva Voce as an opener. Anita Robinson plays a mean guitar. Picked up their record: part spacey, part rocking

Pure conjecture, but it is known that they don't record live in the studio, doing everything track by track. Many bands that are great live tend to record live or mostly live in the studio...Wilco...MMJ...Radiohead...etc..

I've noticed with bands that don't, they aren't as strong or moving live as their record. As a muscian, I think making the record track by track as opposed to live recording of the guys playing WITH each other makes a huge difference, which ultimatley carries over live.