I dont know this Voxtrot you speak of, but i am listening to their Raised By Wolves EP on rhapsody right now. Thanks peeps. I love it.

yes, yes it is

see if they have the Mothers, Sisters, Daughters, & Wives one too, as much as i love RBW, MSDW kicked my ass even more.

nothing on this new record (even the awesome Firecracker) touches Soft & Warm, Rise Up In The Dirt, or the title cut for me...

see if they have the Mothers, Sisters, Daughters, & Wives one too, as much as i love RBW, MSDW kicked my ass even more.

Damn rhapsody - they only have RBW and Your Biggest Fan. I need more!!

From the lead singer's blog (and directly on point with the discussion above):

http://thevoxtrotkid.blogspot.com/

This new album, for all of the reasons listed in previous paragraphs, is very different from our previous output. Depite the fact that I'm quite pleased with the album, musically, it's almost difficult for me to listen to, and I imagine that, as a listener (or, a listener who is not me), it's something you have to kind of live with for a bit before it feels right. The album focuses on conflict and struggle, and on trying to do the right thing in light of the multiple forces that are beating down against you (sounds ridiculous in light of the present state of the world at large, but it's the truth). After a while, I found that the best way for me to find inspiration was to digest all of these negative feelings and reinterpret them in song form. I'm not sure if I can expect listeners to follow me through a journey of struggle, but I think that if anybody's willing, the eventually pay off might be worth it. However, I'm clearly biased.

So, how does this all relate to the internet? The internet is fickle. Everything is disposable. Everything is fleeting. The internet is a very dark place to be. Everybody's a fucking authority and everybody knows better than everybody else. You (I am now going to use "you" in a general sense, though I realize that it does not necessarily apply to the reader) may think that you deserve to be able to download an album at no cost, store it in your iPod, pass your particular judgement, and then immediately dispose of it or hype it at will, but you actually don't deserve that. Sorry if I sound a bit critical, but I guess that, at this point, I'm not talking so much about Voxtrot specifically as I am about the relationship that every band is forced to maintain with the internet. The other day I logged onto Myspace.com (well, the other day probably meaning 6 months ago) and saw a bulletin from a friend of mine that read, "New Arcade Fire and LCD Soundsystem, I think they're pretty good," followed by a link to a shareware site. I think that's shameful, not just in terms of ridiculously lax filesharing, but also in terms of inviting that kind of internet-informed snap criticism: I've made my judgement, so now you download it for free and make yours. Either way, nobody loses out because no money was exchanged. I'm just as guilty as the next person. "Immediacy" is a word that gets thrown around a lot in music industry and I think that now more than ever that word holds significant weight- I often find that, when presented with so much music I tend to have a very disposable attitude towards anything that doesn't set me on fire in the first five seconds, as it is instantly forgotten. It goes without saying that I take other peoples' art for granted. Big time.

So, why am I writing this? I'm not really sure anymore. It sounds as though I'm selling myself short, but that's not the case- I guess it's just an outlet for me to say that I'm reactionary and it's bizarre to see the thing you're labored over up for instant open-forum debate, but I'm pretty certain that these are universal human experiences, and sometimes it feels good just to say it out-loud. At the end of the day, I am proud of the things that I've created and just have to trust that I'm making something honest and actually representative for the people who believe in me. And I do.

Plus, it is, after all, only music.

Love,

Remy Mac

even the total Coldplay, made-for-tv-movie anthem, Grey's Anatomy destined "Real Life Version"? :whoo

it's a pretty song, and i don't hate it, but imo it sounds TOTALLY out of place, and it's gonna be one of the sticking points of a number of reviews i'm guessing.

if they'd closed the record with it, i wouldn't have as big of problem with it.

you seem to forget I actually like coldplay for the most part. :monkey

eh, it's not a bad little song...

I loved this album on my first listen. Not as much as the EPs, though. My next few listens put it right up with the EPs. And from there, I don't really care to compare them any further than that. I must be some sort of weirdo, though, because I think this is one of my favorite albums of the year so far. Maybe it's because, walking in to this album, I didn't really have any sort of expectations, which I think is the best way to approach something new. If I had been expecting more songs like "The Start of Something" or "Trouble" I would have been really disappointed. But I really do love it. /shrug

If I had been expecting more songs like "The Start of Something" or "Trouble" I would have been really disappointed. But I really do love it. /shrug

i can understand the love for Start of Something i guess, and while i do like it, i'm glad it's the only track like it in their catalog. I don't mind the Smiths influence, but it borders on plagiarism on that song for me...

have been listening to it more, and after the initial disappointment has worn off, i do like it, but certainly not even remotely as much as i'd hoped i would... definitely will be a 2nd or 3rd tier album for me come end of the year i think.

i can understand the love for Start of Something i guess, and while i do like it, i'm glad it's the only track like it in their catalog.

I mostly used that as an example since a lot of the complaint's I've heard about the album seem to try to compare Start of Something with it. I mean, I love the song, but if every song of theirs sounded like it... I think there would be even more complaints. :P

If every song was liek Start Of Something people would just call them a complete rip off of the Smiths and Belle And Sebastian.

it's been a while since either Morrisey or B and S have written something as catchy as Start of Something

Damn rhapsody - they only have RBW and Your Biggest Fan. I need more!!

emusic has all the EPs

• 2 weeks later...