Rolling Stone's 40 Songs That Changed The World

I actually just read this issue tonight at my local Barnes and Noble and I think most of (no surprise) is horrible.

Not just the list, but the whole issue. Some of the interviews they do are great, but of course Rolling Stone has to get the interviewers in every single one how great the 60's were (yes it is a look back issue, but seriously, they do it every issue).

Here's a note to Rolling Stone: the 60's were great, but get over it, you suck because you live in the past every single issue! Besides when they mentioned the past, they only mentioned the stuff that sold well. Try to dig deeper Mr. Celebrity Suck Up Jann Wenner.

The thing that sucks about RS lists is I can guess pretty much exactly what they've said about each song/album/whatever just by reading the bare bones list. There's never any insight and/or interesting angle. Like A Rolling Stone: in 1965 Dylan walked into a studio and recorded something that was different than anything anyone had heard before. Blah blah fucking blah. Satisfaction by the Stones: Keith Richards was half asleep with his tape recorder on when he came up with rock's most enduring blahg balh fuckity blah.

The thing that sucks about RS lists is I can guess pretty much exactly what they've said about each song/album/whatever just by reading the bare bones list. There's never any insight and/or interesting angle. Like A Rolling Stone: in 1965 Dylan walked into a studio and recorded something that was different than anything anyone had heard before. Blah blah fucking blah. Satisfaction by the Stones: Keith Richards was half asleep with his tape recorder on when he came up with rock's most enduring blahg balh fuckity blah.

OMG YOU SHOULD WRITE FOR ROLLING STONE!!!!11!!!!one!!!!

I've got no problems with this list.

I know that my life has been irrevocably changed by "... Baby One More Time."

...but it likely was to some extent. Not all of these tunes (including that one) 'changed the world' in such a positive way. That tune paved the way for a total resurgence of pop music in a time where the whole 'alternative' boon started by Nirvana was wearing off. Thusly, it put record companies back into a mode of signing like artists who had a lot more style than substance.

Again, I have to actually read the article to see how the other ones are so important...my guess is that some may have changed the game musically and some from a perspective of popular culture. To be clear, i'm not defending RS and agree that a lot of their lists are flawed...but my guess is that everyone here would have a '40' that could be picked apart as well.

A list without ABBA's "Dancing Queen" is completely bogus!!!

-Robert.

Surely you jest! :lol

As usual, the Prog revolution gets ignored. :no