Originals: Robyn Hitchcock

On BBC Four on Friday 27th April at 0020

One heady week last summer, cult singer/songwriter Robyn Hitchcock recorded a group of new songs in his London house, with help from famous musician friends, including REM's lead guitarist Peter Buck, legendary songwriter Nick Lowe and John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin.

This documentary eavesdrops on Hitchcock at work as he adds to his stockpile of dark, witty and surreal rock songs and explores with contributors including Gillian Welch and David Rawlings what makes Hitchcock's songs so memorable. The film culminates with the band taking the songs on the road in America. Some strong language

Not sure if this'll turn up on the BBC channels in the US, but might be worth keeping an eye out for...

Yeah, before this is Joni Mitchell live at The BBC (which was on fairly recently, and is pretty good - it's mostly music from Blue as it was recorded around the time of that session). Then after the Robyn Hitchcock show is Gillian Welch & David Rawlings in Session (I think that's what they called it in the paper), which will probably either be them playing at The Union Chapel or will be "The Revelator Collection" which came out on dvd some time back, or even better than that would be something new! BBC Four ruins Friday nights out!

On BBC Four on Friday 27th April at 0020

Not sure if this'll turn up on the BBC channels in the US, but might be worth keeping an eye out for...

this sounds great, cheers for the heads up! :thumbup

do you think this is any of the venus 3 material?

Anyone seen this?

http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk./music/pr...s-for-may-16582

Since my husband and I happen to be in London that Saturday anyway, as it's our anniversary weekend, we're of course going.

Hadn't seen that - shame, as that looks really interesting... I'm on their mailout now after buying tickets for the Bella Union 10th Anniversary gigs there in July, hopefully won't miss out on future stuff.

It is a picture book - with more text than one usually finds in a picture book. But - it does not go very deep into the history of PF. It is more like Nick's observations of what went on - I think it is alright.

Nick Lowe played a bit of guitar on a song that Robyn was working on in the kitchen, then did a bit of backing vocals.

Watched it, finally, last night - really nice program. An hour of Robyn being Robyn and Peter Buck dissing REM for the entire time!

As for Nick Lowe - where should I start... not heard anything by him personally but know his production work...

Shame :( Would've been fun to meet up for a pint!

How was it??

Nick Lowe played a bit of guitar on a song that Robyn was working on in the kitchen, then did a bit of backing vocals.

Watched it, finally, last night - really nice program. An hour of Robyn being Robyn and Peter Buck dissing REM for the entire time!

As for Nick Lowe - where should I start... not heard anything by him personally but know his production work...

How was it??

Yeah, it was a good show. If you want to hear some Nick Lowe then get hold of Silver Pistol by Brinsley Swcharz - that'd be the first place I'd direct people to hear him; then move onto Jesus Of Cool or Labour Of Lust by Nick Lowe. If you want to hear some stuff then let me know.

This was a wonderful programme. Really intimate and informative and plenty of songs. Peter Buck seems to be enjoying just being a guitar man instead of the big business R.E.MONSTER.

I bet he wished they had a bigger tour bus though. :rolleyes