Being There Vinyl

I thought I heard something about a repress of Being There coming. I saw a used copy today, and decided not to bite on it until I got confirmation on this suspicion. What's the deal?

there are 2 versions on the market now that i know of. the us pressing and a newly re-mastered eu pressing on 180 gm vinyl. i had a glitch in my copy of the us version and sold it and bought the import. (noone else i know has had a problem with either pressing) they sound worlds apart. the us release sounds very similar to the cd. the eu copy is less murky and more in your face. it sounds more alive. however, on my stereo it's too much and i like the original us pressing better. i'd just think about what your system sounds like and go with what you think sounds better. the eu pressing does not have a gatefold like the us version, iirc.

Apparently whoever (pre)mastered the original pressing fucked up hard on the high end. At least that's what I've read.

Less weathered vinyl. I'm much more of an audiophile than a collector, my Vinyl endeavors aimed at the best listening experience. Novelty hardly interests me.

• 4 weeks later...
i picked this up on vinyl yesterday at a record shop. I don't know which pressing it is though, is there a way to tell from the notes on the back?

the import is not a gatefold and came with those nice paper and plastic audiophile record sleeves. the original pressing has paper sleeves but i can't remember if it's a gatefold. maybe someone else knows?

the import is not a gatefold and came with those nice paper and plastic audiophile record sleeves. the original pressing has paper sleeves but i can't remember if it's a gatefold. maybe someone else knows?

alright so in terms of sound quality, i don't want a gatefold? i haven't actually opened it yet

alright so in terms of sound quality, i don't want a gatefold? i haven't actually opened it yet

this was discussed in another thread previously but imo, the import is brighter and more in your face while the original vinyl is more laid back and the bass a little muddy, the cymbals more smeared. the original sounds like the cd and the new import is more lively and probably more what the original recording sounded like, warts and all. most of the time i prefer the new remaster but it can be a little shrill on my stereo which tends to highlight a bright sounding record. my two cents.

this was discussed in another thread previously but imo, the import is brighter and more in your face while the original vinyl is more laid back and the bass a little muddy, the cymbals more smeared. the original sounds like the cd and the new import is more lively and probably more what the original recording sounded like, warts and all. most of the time i prefer the new remaster but it can be a little shrill on my stereo which tends to highlight a bright sounding record. my two cents.

nice, thanks for the info. either way it was $16.99 new so i'm guessing that's not a bad deal. i wanted to pick up YHF but that was $30.99 and more than i felt like spending

• 2 months later...
having troubles on this post.

elusivedisc

finally got off my lazy azz, and got around to ordering the 180g Being There, and all I can honestly say is WOW. Unbelievable re-pressing from the master tapes. If any hardcore Wilco vinyl collector does not yet have this import, I highly reccomend trying to grab this one, before they become obscure all together. The U.S. pressing of "Being There" isnt too easy to find as it is, the 180g is near impossible, but elusive disc does have a few left in stock. Forget the 29.99 pricetag, this is worth it all day long...the way it was meant to be heard. Anyways, even though its a good several months down the road, thanks for the reccomondation.

Looks like the usual suspects are out of stock now....maybe try some Euro vendors. On GEMM a few German sellers list it in stock but the price is in the $40 range. Can probably do better with a bit of hunting.

• 2 months later...

Hey all, I noticed that Todd The Vinyl Junkie seems to have the BT import pressing in stock for $29.95.

http://www.ttvj.com/index.php?main_page=ad...p;keyword=wilco

I've never dealt with him, but just thought I'd pass this on since it was apparently becoming pretty scarce.

Hey all, I noticed that Todd The Vinyl Junkie seems to have the BT import pressing in stock for $29.95.

http://www.ttvj.com/index.php?main_page=ad...p;keyword=wilco

I've never dealt with him, but just thought I'd pass this on since it was apparently becoming pretty scarce.

For anyone on the fence about this, even if you have the U.S. release, jump on it... the 180 gram is well worth the price of admission.