Literature and movies: Russia and survival themes

Can anyone help? (Beltmann, are you out there? :) ) I'm looking for artsy and pop culture titles for two themes:

Russia:

I'm mostly looking for something recent, but Soviet-era would be great too.

Movies about or made in Russia or any of the Commonwealth of Independent States: Ukraine, Belarus, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan. Engaging/interesting documentaries will do too.

Literature, classic or contemporary, from any of the above (I've already got Dostoevsky and Chekov on my list).

Artists/noteworthy artwork, including photography or photojournalism

Music

Anything else artsy--dance, etc.

Survival theme:

Literature, particularly poetry or short stories, although novels and plays are OK too.

Art--paintings, photography

Music--artsy or popular culture

I already have a good list of movies for this theme, including Castaway, Saving Private Ryan, and Titanic.

You know it's just a matter of time before someone posts a photo of Borat, right? ;)

I can only speak to the Russian literature part, but in addition to Dostoevsky and Chekhov, I would say check out Pushkin, Tolstoy, Turgenev, Gogol, & Lermontov.

That is all.

Nabokov, too. His family had a very comfortable life before they had to flee Russia.

Check out "Strong Opinoins," an excellent compilation of his interviews for more info.

Russian Ark is pretty interesting on a couple of levels. (World's first unedited feature film: it consists of a single 90-minute Steadicam shot.)

Not as unwatchable and far out there as the descriptions sometimes make it sound.

"Told in one fluid shot, a tale which floats like a dreamlike journey through the majestic spaces of the Hermitage in St. Petersburg, engaging real and imagined characters from Russian and European history. The nameless protagonist, a 19th-century French diplomat, guides the audience through a lost, sumptuous dream that was the Enlightenment period. The film, staged among some of the Western Art tradition's greatest masterpieces, climaxes in a pageant of color, motion, and music. For Sokurov, the Hermitage--home to generations of Romonovs and repository of so much Russian history--is the ark of the Russian soul, guarding it affectionately until the world sees better days." ---Amazon

Perhaps this is set too far in the past, but Dr. Zhivago is a classic (I'm referring specifically to the film, but I suppose that goes for the book too). It's a bit of a soap opera, but its backdrop is the revolution, and it's very interesting in that respect.

Music: To my mind, Russians have basically perfected choral music. Much of my favorite stuff is written for male choruses, but a lot of standard SATB arrangements are mind-blowing as well. In particular, composers like Sergei Rachmaninoff, Georgy Sviridov, and Alexander Gretchaninov wrote some gorgeous stuff. There's a bit from Rachmaninoff (I think it was a "vespers" section from a larger piece) that is the most beautiful piece of choral music I think I've ever heard.

I wish I had titles of some of these pieces, but it's been years since I was immersed in this stuff. If I find any of it, I'll post it here.

The Return (Vozvrashcheniye) is a beautiful, wonderful, stunning russian film about how two brothers deal with the return of their father, whom they've never known.

cryptique's message contains the composers I would've mentioned, but I'd also add that Dmitri Kabalevsky wrote a lot of beautiful music, the cello works being the ones that caught my heart.

I have enjoyed:-

Genghis Blues : http://www.genghisblues.com/articles/reuters.html

Burnt By the Sun - Stalin's times

The Barber of Siberia - Turn of the century 'epic' that is sprawling and unfocused but has some memorable scenes

Prisoner Of The Mountains - Story set in Chechnia

Come And See (Idi I Smotri) - Be warned: this is a brutal (anti) war film based around the annihilation of a Russian village by the Nazis

I see that you already have Survival movies in mind, but if you might also consider Dark Days, a doc:

"Near Penn Station, next to the Amtrak tracks, squatters have been living for years. Marc Singer goes underground to live with them, and films this "family." A dozen or so men and one woman talk about their lives: horrors of childhood, jail time, losing children, being coke-heads. They scavenge, they've built themselves sturdy one-room shacks; they have pets, cook, chat, argue, give each other haircuts. A bucket is their toilet. Leaky overhead pipes are a source of water for showers. They live in virtual darkness. During the filming, Amtrak gives a 30-day eviction notice. "

And with the survival theme, one of the first thing that comes to mind is holocaust survivors.

With Tamar Deuel, you get poetry, sculpture and painting...

719be300.jpg

Her site is a good resource. She shares her reflections on what it is like to survive.

The pain in her art is a reminder that surviving is a blessing and a curse, but the images are also pretty hopeful in their own ways.

Survivor art like this is incredible on so many levels. The paintings are revelation, reminder, therapy, beauty, sadness, reflection...amazing stuff.