Half-way through, I remember thinking, "this is great....fun, entertaining, funny..."

Then, yes, it fell apart under the weight of too damn many characters and stories.

But, c'mon...I've seen a TON of summer blockbusters worse than Spiderman 3. My opinion is that Raimi needed another 6 months to get the movie where it could have been.

Raimi is generally pretty great, yes. I really like most of his films, but this was not one of them. And yes, it had some exciting moments. But in the end it all added up to a big pile of nonsense. The acting was stiff, though this may have just been the result of the generally painful dialogue. There were way too many plots going on, none of which was developed very well. And, in none of them did the payoffs feel earned. The character's motivations were pretty unbelievable and their decisions inconsistent as we moved from scene to scene. And the bits that were meant to be jokes were just sad. Peter Parker/Spiderman dancing on multiple occasions? The whole secretary buzzing the editor's desk thing? And what was up with the Conor Oberst hairdo, as someone already mentioned? I dunno. This is obviously just my opinion, and you are certainly more than welcome to disagree ... although you even admit the flick fell apart at least a little. I do agree, though, that there are worse summer blockbusters out there. But this one was only minimally better. Maybe it was the 350+million dollar budget that got them over the hump?

Oh well, it just felt like they poured more and more money into this thing in an effort to make it bigger and better, when it only ended up making it more and more messy.

Yeah, why see a mediocre-good movie, when you can see masterpieces like....

28 Weeks Later

Are We Done Yet

Delta Farce

Disturbia

Georgia Rule

Fracture

Grindhouse

Lucky You

Meet the Robinsons

Next

Shooter

Wild Hogs

Yeah, those are mostly pretty awful. 28 Weeks Later looks like it could be interesting, though. And you didn't mention Hot Fuzz, which I think is at most of the Spiderman-playing multiplexes and is fantastic.

And Grindhouse was a much better film than Spiderman 3, I thought. I genuinely enjoyed that flick, especially the Death Proof portion. Planet Terror's merits are definitely debatable, but Tarantino's half was one of the best things I've seen this year so far. I know people who would disagree with me, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy crap, what an awful movie. I knew I should've tried to convince the crew I was with to see Shrek 3.

I spent the last twenty minutes of the movie in the lobby looking at the magic stand for the new Harry Potter.

Bruce Campbell and the Sandman effects were the only remotely interesting things about the movie.

I'd rather watch For Love Of The Game on an endless loop than sit through five minutes of Spiderman 3 again.

Most telling moment that the series had veered into Joel Schumacher territory:

Spiderman: "I'm gonna need some help Harry!"

Harry: "I'm a little busy over here!"

Or something like that.

Lord.

I'd rather watch For Love Of The Game on an endless loop than sit through five minutes of Spiderman 3 again.

Wow. Seriously...that's the worst thing I think anyone could say about a movie.