Saw Spiderman 3 this weekend.

I really liked most of it. The effects were unreal. I liked the Spiderman/Goblin chase at the beginning, the sequence with Gwen Stacy falling out of the building, and all the Sandman shots.

The first 2/3 of the movie was perfect...it was funny, entertaining, interesting, visually spectacular. Then I thought the end third just seemed a bit less than what it could have been. Basically, the last 50-60 minutes (yeah, it's a long movie....2 hours 20 minutes...and it seemed like it towards the end) is the only part of all the Spiderman movies that felt like a typical summer "blockbuster" movie. It just all wrapped up a little too nicely and corny or something.

Had Raimi decided to make a 3rd AND 4th movie, I think this 3rd movie could have been perfect like Spiderman 2. I found myself hating the Harry/Goblin character. Had he been killed off, I'd have been fine with it. The Parker/MJ relationship was a little unrealistic...the talk MJ had with Parker on the bridge wasn't right somehow. Saving a Spiderman vs. Venom/Sandman fight for Spiderman 4 could have allowed the 3rd to be dedicated more with getting rid of Harry and Parker shaking off his dark side...along with developing Parker's and MJ's rocky relationship.

As is, I wish Raimi had eliminated one of the bad guys....the movie just seemed over-crowded.

I'm just going to say, while it was entertaining and had a few cool action sequences...Spiderman 3 was a huge dissapointment. There was at least 45 minutes of useless pap stuck in there that could have been cut out and would have improved the flick ten-fold. It also amped up the goofiness to a disturbing level in what had the potential to be a very dark and interesting storyline based around jealousy and revenge.
the spiderman dancing scenes were dumb. and spiderman should NOT look like connor oberst when he's evil...

Ha. THAT'S who he looked like.

I agree with the first reply to this post.

Had it been agreed to make a 3rd and 4th Spiderman, the 3rd could have been darker and focused more on jealousy and revenge...maily focused on Harry/Goblin and MJ and the start of Venom and Sandman. Then the 4th could have had been nothing but Spiderman vs. Venom and Sandman.

Spiderman 3, to me, had a great buildup...but as it got near the end, I knew there was no way they could tie up all the stories that were dancing around. And I found myslef wanting Harry/Goblin to be killed off...he wasn't likeable at all.

But I DO like the way Raimi tries to show the human side of every character. The Sandman is evil-ish, but Raimi puts in a context. Same goes for Venom...Parker pissed him off by embarrassing him at the newspaper. And even Gwen Stacy, after looking kind of bad early on, apologizes to MJ. I still think the Spiderman movies are the best of the superhero movies.

Rumors are that there will be a Spiderman 4.

Good god...had they stretched out Harry/Sandman/Venom into two different flicks i'd be even more pissed off. Outside of some great effects, the whole Sandman charachter was flat and boring...Harry was even worse and should have flat out done another spin as the Goblin like the comic book...and the potential they had w/ Venom was a little muted by their choice in topher Grace, who did a lame job as a bad guy/psycho.

This flick also brought to light just how bad of an actor Tobey Maguire can be and Kirsten Dunce was horrendous.

Wow. I think I just realized I hated this flick even more than I thought I did.

the spiderman dancing scenes were dumb. and spiderman should NOT look like connor oberst when he's evil...

I felt that captured the essence of the stories from the comic book, it was so goofy and over the top. I just felt they should have gone all the way in that direction rather than jumping back and forth between the vibe of the comic and vibe of the movies.

Also, there should have been some twist at the end, maybe Norman standing over Harry's grave? Something like that, theres going to be 3 more movies that could very well do a batman style jumping of the shark..

The BIG problem was that they had 3 villians and couldnt develop them all, oh that and topher grace.

Good god...had they stretched out Harry/Sandman/Venom into two different flicks i'd be even more pissed off. Outside of some great effects, the whole Sandman charachter was flat and boring...Harry was even worse and should have flat out done another spin as the Goblin like the comic book...and the potential they had w/ Venom was a little muted by their choice in topher Grace, who did a lame job as a bad guy/psycho.

This flick also brought to light just how bad of an actor Tobey Maguire can be and Kirsten Dunce was horrendous.

I feel exactly the same! Totally lame movie that I now hate with a passion...

That's funny. Out of all three Spiderman films this was by far my least favorite. Way too long. They could have cut out at least 20 maybe 30 minutes. Like you say, some scenes were just plain dumb. B)

I was so-so on the actor choice for Sandman. But I liked the character's back-story.

The Harry character was dealt with horribly...I couldn't stand him half-way through. The last thing I wanted to root for was for Spidey to be helped out by Harry.

I loved the way they used Topher Grace as the competing photographer. It added a lot of humor and entertainment to the first 2/3 of the film.

Spiderman - 8.5/10

Spiderman 2 - 10/10

Spiderman 3 - 7/10

Ugh. For the record, I haven't like any of the Spiderman movies. In my opinion they've always been cheesy and poorly executed and not in the good way like Raimi's other films (Evil Dead etc).

Toby Macguire is a terrible actor. He has the same facial expression for every single emotion and that is expression is *Blinks, blank stare*. The man can't even convincingly act like he's asleep. Not only that but the writing was horrendous...

"I like being bad... It makes me feel GOOOD!"

"Find us some shade, long legs."

Agh. I saw it at a matinee and it cost me $4.50 and I still feel jipped.

The only positive thing I have to say about the movie is that Bruce Campbell was in it.

i loved the first two. i thought this one was absolutely horrid. like a dr. phil episode about emo kid superheros who like saturday night fever. they should have never let raimi write the script, apparently.

SPOILER: He's a host at a restaraunt.

Actually, he does the best acting in the movie.

I thought the dancing scene was the worst. It was like they I was watching the mask. The movie was ok, nothing really happened tho the effects were good, least favorite of the series tho.

Saw this today. And...ummm...just thought it was really bad. Rarely do I thoroughly dislike a movie, but ... well ... I thoroughly disliked this one. Overlong, overcrowded, poorly acted, poorly written. The motivations for the characters' actions made zero sense almost uniformly and thus the story grew increasingly ridiculous as this mess moved forward. In fact, the story was really little more than a LONG series of big action set pieces interspersed with badly acted (and just plain bad) exposition.

I know it's based on a comic book ... but that is no excuse for the massive amounts of pure cheese this flick contains. I mean, the first 2 Spidermans did a fairly nice job of capturing the look and feel of a comic book in its images, tone, dialogue, and general sense of excitement and fun. This new one, though, was a big steamy turd of a summer Hollywood blockbuster ... with a few cool special effects.

Thumbs down.

I know it's based on a comic book ... but that is no excuse for the massive amounts of pure cheese this flick contains.

See, this one went so far off track from the comic book it was one of the resons I didn't like it. I don't expect these to be literal interpretations of the comics...but some continuity would have been good.

Saw this today. And...ummm...just thought it was really bad. Rarely do I thoroughly dislike a movie, but ... well ... I thoroughly disliked this one. Overlong, overcrowded, poorly acted, poorly written. The motivations for the characters' actions made zero sense almost uniformly and thus the story grew increasingly ridiculous as this mess moved forward. In fact, the story was really little more than a LONG series of big action set pieces interspersed with badly acted (and just plain bad) exposition.

I know it's based on a comic book ... but that is no excuse for the massive amounts of pure cheese this flick contains. I mean, the first 2 Spidermans did a fairly nice job of capturing the look and feel of a comic book in its images, tone, dialogue, and general sense of excitement and fun. This new one, though, was a big steamy turd of a summer Hollywood blockbuster ... with a few cool special effects.

Thumbs down.

Half-way through, I remember thinking, "this is great....fun, entertaining, funny..."

Then, yes, it fell apart under the weight of too damn many characters and stories.

But, c'mon...I've seen a TON of summer blockbusters worse than Spiderman 3. My opinion is that Raimi needed another 6 months to get the movie where it could have been.

My department at work is taking the afternoon off and going to see this. I never saw the first two movies and am not really a fan of comic-book-movies in general, but I am a big fan of not working on Friday afternoons. Is this worth me sticking around to watch, or should I just take a "bathroom break" when the house lights dim and then just leave?

My department at work is taking the afternoon off and going to see this. I never saw the first two movies and am not really a fan of comic-book-movies in general, but I am a big fan of not working on Friday afternoons. Is this worth me sticking around to watch, or should I just take a "bathroom break" when the house lights dim and then just leave?

Sneak into another flick.