You guys won't believe this

It doesn't surprise me that Kot likes it. It is everything that he says -- Jeff's voice is strong, the lyrics are clearer, the music is more accessible.

Guest Speed Racer
It doesn't surprise me that Kot likes it.

I think that's the joke...Jeff could shit on a piece of plastic and Kot would call it the best record ever made.

I think that's the joke...Jeff could shit on a piece of plastic and Kot would call it the best record ever made.

But he would be right.

I've talked to Kot before and he's not the kind of guy to hype something without a good backing on it. Compared to his counter-partner DeRogaitis, he knows what he is talking about.

Besides, I could say the same thing about us VCers that Tweedy could shit on a piece of plastic and we would call it the best thing ever.

I've talked to Kot before and he's not the kind of guy to hype something without a good backing on it. Compared to his counter-partner DeRogaitis, he knows what he is talking about.

Besides, I could say the same thing about us VCers that Tweedy could shit on a piece of plastic and we would call it the best thing ever.

for the record, I like Kot. He is a bit of a fanboy though.

Guest Rufer
The band even recorded the music on a 2-inch reel-to-reel tape machine instead of computers, which is practically unheard of in today’s production world. It requires a band to essentially record complete takes of a song rather than overdub and edit parts at will.

Um, no it's not practically unheard of these days. It's done by many many bands. And the medium definitely allows for ample overdubbing.

Again - just like the record stores with the stacks of new singles in them - whenever I read Harp or whatever, there may be some mention of analog recording - but it seems to me, the most common deal these days is Pro Tools or whatever the fookin' nasty digital machine is in vogue now a days.

I would venture to guess it would be somewhat difficult to obtain massive amounts of tape - just like film for cameras, there are less and less companies producing it.

Guest Rufer

Agreed most music released these days is recorded on computers. The article said it's 'practically unheard of' which is not at all the case. Not even close. A large number (MUCH larger than the number of 45s) of commercially available compact disks released today are recorded entirely on tape. Mainstream stuff too--for example, the White Stripes all the way to the most indie of the indie.

There are hundreds of analog studios in the country today.

Use the search function here if you don't believe:

messageboard.tapeop.com

I would venture to guess it would be somewhat difficult to obtain massive amounts of tape - just like film for cameras, there are less and less companies producing it.

And yes, I believe there is only 1 company currently making tape.

Indie -

until they get signed to ?

I mean - does U2 and say, Britney Spears record on tape - I doubt it.

Maybe what I mean is- I would think the industry standard is not to use tape anymore - and I think we will see it disappear completely within the next ? of years.

Guest Rufer
Indie -

Well now, it seems we are not disagreeing anymore. You challenged that it wasn't 'unheard of' and now your talking about Britney Spears and U2. Yes, I believe Brit and U2 record to computers.

I'm now off to the Dr. Dog show. Which if you look up their most recent record on their website says, "DR. DOG We All Belong, our most recent offering recorded simultaneously with our EP "Takers and Leavers" on 2" twenty four track tape".

The very same medium that was before 'practically unheard of'..

Indie -

Maybe what I mean is- I would think the industry standard is not to use tape anymore - and I think we will see it disappear completely within the next ? of years.

Not true at all. Lots of "rock" bands record to tape still. And I guarantee you that a large majority of artists at least run the song through tape before the A/D conversion. There will NEVER be a day when everything in a studio is digital. The future will be a combination.