• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are flipping out on the Marlins board because some guy created a topic called "CURT SCHILLING PITCHING A NO HITTER THRU 7" and then wrong "..." as the post to it. While I don't think it has any effect on it, it's a dick move. I feel like not mentioning a no-no is a big deal. You've gotta handle it with a little bit of tact.

I will refrain from commenting, as I spent about 4 innings of Mark Buerhle's no-hitter sending IMs to Kate that said "NO HITTER NO HITTER NO HITTER NO HITTER".

Haha.

I'm glad no one said anything to me during Anibal Sanchez's no hitter. The only person who did was my roommate, who was saying he wasn't going to get it, but he doesn't like baseball, so he doesn't count.

Actually, I turned on that game in the 6th inning and when Tommy Hutton said "Anibal hasn't allowed any hits yet" I turned it on mute immediately.

People are flipping out on the Marlins board because some guy created a topic called "CURT SCHILLING PITCHING A NO HITTER THRU 7" and then wrong "..." as the post to it. While I don't think it has any effect on it, it's a dick move. I feel like not mentioning a no-no is a big deal. You've gotta handle it with a little bit of tact.

On the Sons of Sam Horn board there's a live game thread and some bonehead mentioned the potential no-no during the game (around the 7th inning, as well). Talk about a pile-on. Some superstitions shouldn't be messed with. Yeah, it has no impact on the game (particularly via internet) but it ruins the enjoyment of the moment to an extent.

On the Sons of Sam Horn board there's a live game thread and some bonehead mentioned the potential no-no during the game (around the 7th inning, as well). Talk about a pile-on. Some superstitions shouldn't be messed with. Yeah, it has no impact on the game (particularly via internet) but it ruins the enjoyment of the moment to an extent.

Yeah the mods on the Marlins board were deleting posts like crazy during Anibal's no-no last year just so they wouldn't have to deal with the bullshit associated with it. Now there's like 2 parody threads of the "no hitter thread" about pitchers who had no hitters in the 2nd inning. Thats the problem with boards with a lot of users. You get alot of idiots.

Also, Mr. Fabregas, that move was made because Ozzie is one of the worst in game managers in the league.

If I was an A's fan, I'd have been hoping for a hit then. But since I'm not, I was hoping he'd get it...

well, like i said, after 3 of 4 from a team with such a better record, i'd give 'em the one. but since he didn't end up with it, i'd have preferred a win for my boys.

I have Joe Blanton in my head-to-head league. I don't really care about that league as much as my roto league, but Blanton was a guy who I came really close to dropping a week ago, then he had a great start, so I was giving him one more chance. Tonight he pitched absolutely great, but still lost because Schilling was pitching out of his gourd. Big bummer.

A perfect opportunity for unconventional closer use. Top of the ninth, two outs, bases loaded, A-Rod up. The White Sox board is clamoring for Jenks. Ozzie brings in an AAA call-up. Grand slam. 8-3 yanks.

You forgot to mention that Chokex Chokeface Chokeaholic Choke-Rod Rodrig-Choke hit it. Thats 2 game winning grandslams in the season.

You forgot to mention that Chokex Chokeface Chokeaholic Choke-Rod Rodrig-Choke hit it. Thats 2 game winning grandslams in the season.

No, A-rod is right there in the post. Actually the Yankees were already leading by one at that point (so it was game-sealing rather than game-winning), but I still wanted Jenks in.

That is pretty cool.

well, like i said, after 3 of 4 from a team with such a better record, i'd give 'em the one.

I, for one, was feeling greedy. :pirate

I managed to watch/listen to that whole game -- except for Shannon Stewart's hit. He came up to bat as I was going in the Fort McHenry Tunnel, and I lost the my XM signal. Go figure.

I think the tradition is that no one speaks to the pitcher during a no-hitter. For fear of saying something or doing something (i.e., anything) to break his concentration or rhythm. I am sure that the other players on the team mention it to each other. But even if they don't, folks in the stands (and certainly folks on internet message boards) are not included in the group of people that should avoid mentionining a no-hitter in progress. Jesus, people.

Frankly, even tv/radio announcers of ballgames blurt it out in the 5th inning these days.

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Typical designated hitter. They never know what their defense is up to.

So imagine David Ortiz's great surprise when he happened to glance at the scoreboard in the ninth inning Thursday afternoon at McAfee Stadium, and noticed the zeros in the Athletics' linescore went one category farther than usual.

Only then, with one out in the ninth, did Ortiz realize Curt Schilling was throwing a no-hitter. The Red Sox won 1-0, on the strength of Ortiz's first-inning homer off Joe Blanton.

"[Earlier] I was talking with [first base coach] Luis Alicea and he asked me, `Would you bring in the closer right here?'" Ortiz said. "He was messing around with me. But when he asked me, I was like, `He's pitching good, why do you want to bring in your closer?'

"Later on, for some reason, I looked at the board and I saw all the zeros and I kept looking at it and then I saw the zero under the H and I was like, `Wait a minute!' It was good that I didn't find out before that time, because I got nervous.