Ryan Adams Collecting

The ever-prolific Ryan Adams has more in store for fans this year than "Easy Tiger," a new studio album due June 26 via Lost Highway. The artist is plotting a multi-disc boxed set of odds-and-ends, which will cull from his extensive back catalog.

According to a label spokesperson, the set may include live tracks, the fabled unreleased albums "48 Hours" and "The Suicide Handbook," the oft-bootlegged "Bedhead" series and leftover songs from the "Easy Tiger" sessions.

What won't be included, however, are the dozens of oddball tracks Adams released last year via his Web site under the monikers DJ Reggie, WereWolph, the Sh*t and others. "That wasn't meant to be anything more than just a laugh," Adams tells Billboard.com. "It was a thing to do after shows. It was like having garage band wars. It was for fun -- a chance experiment with rap stuff."

As for "Easy Tiger," Adams says that, like 2004's "Love Is Hell" and 2002's "Demolition," the album consists of vignettes -- short stories -- as opposed to a single central theme or musical concept. "It's a bunch of individual poems, really, and I have no reservations about trying to link anything together," he says. "I still feel even unfamiliar with this record. Even though I wrote them, I still feel like I don't know enough about them yet."

Although Adams is backed by his band the Cardinals on the album, he originally intended to try recording it as a solo effort. "I had been talking with management to try another setup like [2000's] 'Heartbreaker,' but as I started writing, I wanted to flesh it out and I brought the band in," he says.

Adams spent most of 2006 "caught up in what I wanted to do with [my life] in general," he says. The 32-year-old artist released a trio of albums in under a year between 2005 and 2006, drawing ire from critics over such a fast and furious production schedule. "I ignore the people that say I'm at fault for being a hard worker. It's completely unreasonable," he says in retort.

What's more, Adams has been clean and sober for a year, a development Lost Highway VP of marketing and artist development Andy Nelson says is reflected on "Easy Tiger." "He's done a lot of soul searching," Nelson says. "The result has been really astounding. He sounds better than ever."

What's more, Adams has been clean and sober for a year, a development Lost Highway VP of marketing and artist development Andy Nelson says is reflected on "Easy Tiger." "He's done a lot of soul searching," Nelson says. "The result has been really astounding. He sounds better than ever."

I've seen him live in the last year, and I don't really believe this.

in other news I am pretty excited for this collection

I am reminded of The Lost Crowes release last year - in that all of this stuff is pretty much put there to grab already. I suppose it will sound better and be in a nice package. I recall that Demolition was suppose to be a lot more than the one cd it ended up being - so we will see.

Yeah, even though I will have pretty much everything that is bound to be on the boxset - it will be nice to have it all in one place, and in decent sound quality. About time this came out!

Yeah, even though I will have pretty much everything that is bound to be on the boxset - it will be nice to have it all in one place, and in decent sound quality. About time this came out!

I call bullshit on the "Bedhead" thing though. That is a fan collection series of live tracks widely available online. Why would Ryan have anything to do with releasing it?? That makes no sence to me.

Anyone know about his contract with Lost Highway? Maybe the boxset would fulfill the contract.

Just recently he mentioned he felt "tied-down" by Lost Highways.

Really?? I would have to say they seem like they are being pretty good to him.

LouieB

Really?? I would have to say they seem like they are being pretty good to him.

LouieB

Yeah I can't think of any major label (Lost Highway is part of Universal Music Group) that would allow an output like Ryan's.

edit: I am pumped for this although I'm sure I have at least half

in the recent Uncut mag, during a RA interview he states:

- he wants to do crazy jamming stuff but he forgets that highways is respectably a Country label.

- he says that his label told him to keep things acoustic and light. whereas he wants to do crazy jamming, several voices singing different parts of songs, big collaborations

I'm digging the "Reckoning" set-up. 5/16/07 has been in my rotation for weeks.

I call bullshit on the "Bedhead" thing though. That is a fan collection series of live tracks widely available online. Why would Ryan have anything to do with releasing it?? That makes no sence to me.

that was my thoughts exactly...

sounds like the writer not knowing what the hell he's talking about w/ that line.

I am reminded of The Lost Crowes release last year - in that all of this stuff is pretty much put there to grab already. I suppose it will sound better and be in a nice package. I recall that Demolition was suppose to be a lot more than the one cd it ended up being - so we will see.

Ryan's said that the stuff that's out there (48 Hours etc) will have proper mastering and mixing and perhaps there'll be overdubs to make them more of an album rather than a collection of demos. Plus, I think he hinted that we haven't heard all there's to be heard from these sessions.

Why don't I leave it to the man himself to explain...

"for those of you who think you have the finished 48 and S HNBK etc....wait til you hear how those records really sounded w o.d.s strings/ mixes/ missing tunes. you might like the actual finished product. plus those records between the released ones that never got leaked on the world wibe web. more on that later. right now its all about the tiger. YO. the TIGER.

LATER SK8ters"