Ok. I suck at computers, so forgive me for sounding elementary.

I have an Airport Extreme router. It worked nicely until Time Warner switched to Comcast, and had to get a new modem. I thought it was something to do with my router, but I went to the genius bar, and this is when I was informed that Comcast was doing something with DNS numbers (I think that's what he called them.). Something like, the numbers wouldn't automatically populate in my wireless settings. He said it was like they are trying to control how many computers are using there service in the same house. He added the numbers for me, urged me to write the newspaper(apparently this is a big deal), and sent me on my way. That was 3 months ago, if not longer, and I still haven't had a wireless connection. It connects everywhere, but home. I understand that I've been incredibly lazy with this. Any ideas?

I think I confused myself.

Domain name servers (DNS) contain lists of what address matches to what IP address. The web is really a bunch of IP addresses, but to make it nicer for everyone, Domain Name servers match those numbers up with names. So without DNS, instead of going to amazon.com, youd have to type in 68.120.134.12 or something like that. And repeat that for all your favorite sites.

So anyway, usually you get addresses for Domain name servers automatically from your ISP, but if comcast is being weird about them, you might have to call them and try to get them so you can put them manually.

Also, there are probably lists online of DNS that you could google for if comcast isn't helpful. The numbers the mac genius gave you didn't work?

No. They did not work. He said that I was the 20th, or so person to come in with the same issue. None of these people had to go back to the store.

The thing is my computer doesn't even recognize any type of signal. I took the router with me to the apple store, and they had it working fine with my laptop.

try going to system preferences, network, show airport. under configure IPv4, select USING DHCP and you should get your ip address. if that fails, then they likely have some sort of static address for your machine (unlikely), which would require a call to comcast to get the configs.

have you tried connecting with an ethernet cable? you should call their tech support and/or get a refund for your unusable service.

try going to system preferences, network, show airport. under configure IPv4, select USING DHCP and you should get your ip address. if that fails, then they likely have some sort of static address for your machine (unlikely), which would require a call to comcast to get the configs.

have you tried connecting with an ethernet cable? you should call their tech support and/or get a refund for your unusable service.

The IP address is there.

I tried connecting with an ethernet cable, and it didn't work either. All have have to do is plug cable in to the modem, and my machine. Right?

Could it be a bad cable?

I have learned that sometimes you just have to keep messing with such things until you get it - or get someone over to your place that knows about the stuff, or maybe even someone on here can talk to you on the phone about it. That is how I began to learn BT - Doubter taught me. If I knew about such things - I would. Maybe someone will step up here.

I have an apple laptop and am using it with the standard Linksys WRT-54G thru a Comcast hookup and it works fine. It's only like $50 if you look around online. Has all the security and what not too. You know, should you give and get a different one..... :ohwell

I have learned that sometimes you just have to keep messing with such things until you get it - or get someone over to your place that knows about the stuff, or maybe even someone on here can talk to you on the phone about it. That is how I began to learn BT - Doubter taught me. If I knew about such things - I would. Maybe someone will step up here.

Thanks, A-man.

It's frustrating. The desktop here is the suck, andI have a nice laptop that I haven't used in forever. It's not like I'm writing papers anymore. A computer is useless to me if I have no internet. The only time I use it is when I'm traveling. It worked perfectly, other than me not knowing crap about macs, before the change. Argh.

I have an apple laptop and am using it with the standard Linksys WRT-54G thru a Comcast hookup and it works fine. It's only like $50 if you look around online. Has all the security and what not too. You know, should you give and get a different one..... :ohwell

Do you have it hooked to a desktop, or another computer too?

Do you have it hooked to a desktop, or another computer too?

I have the coaxial cable going from the wall to the cable modem, then the ethernet cable from the modem to the wireless router. There are 3 desktop PCs, a laptop PC and a Mac laptop all connected wirelessly. I'm at work during the day, but when I get home I can poke around within the router and see if I can see any settings that might help.

EDIT: I know you said it worked before, but could it be a distance / signal loss issue?

i found that everything behaves and works properly when you take it into the mac store and stops working when you get it home.

it sounds like there might be a bad cable somewhere if the laptop's wireless works outside of your house. you might want to try pulling everything off the router and focusing on the laptop. do a direct connect from the cable modem to the laptop, see if it works. if it does, then connect to your router. if it doesn't work, maybe try going into the system settings and having the machine reconfigure itself for the network. if that doesn't work, try connecting your desktop computer directly to the cable modem and check all of the settings, copy them down, then switch back to the laptop and duplicate the exact settings from the desktop model. it could be a box isn't checked somewhere or it could be that the # of machines connected to the router has maxed out the signal.

although it sounds like you've tried all of that.

or it could be that comcast stinks.

I have the coaxial cable going from the wall to the cable modem, then the ethernet cable from the modem to the wireless router. There are 3 desktop PCs, a laptop PC and a Mac laptop all connected wirelessly. I'm at work during the day, but when I get home I can poke around within the router and see if I can see any settings that might help.

EDIT: I know you said it worked before, but could it be a distance / signal loss issue?

I don't think it's a distance issue. I live in pretty small house, and before all this started I could connect at my neighbors house.

you should get comcast out there to config that stuff.

This is probably the best answer, but man do I hate dealing with them.

Comcast took over my area recently too....they haven't asked to switch my modem from the previous company's to theirs yet, though. It sounds like I'll vehemently argue to keep it if they ask. It works fine with their service. I have an Airport Extreme too. I don't want a new modem f-ing up the works.

Well, I sacked up and called Comcast. Boy, do I feel like an idiot. All I had to do is unplug the modem, and turn it back on.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice.

And Lord Ganesh removes another obstacle. Aum.

Ganesh20Trone202.jpg