Ryan Adans vs Jeff Tweedy contrasting record reviews

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no doubt in my mind that Wilco will be highly regarded for their contributions to rock and roll in twenty or so years. While I like SBS a lot, it's difficult for me to gauge its significance in the long run other than it was the first Wilco album with Nels and Pat. Being There, Summer Teeth, and Yankee were all huge musical leaps. SBS has subtle and restrained differences. I think it'll eventually be seens as underrated and solid, but certainly YHF, AGIB, BT, and ST will be connected with the Wilco legacy more than SBS. Right or wrong (and I think it's wrong) but the musical legacy of Jeff and Wilco will be remembered more for pain, angst, and disconnect than serenity, contentment, and peace

I believe the only reason SBS might be referenced in the future is only if it's viewed by the majority of critics and fans as the last album before Wilco jumped the shark and descended into adult contemporary rock. But I don't see that happening.

I simply see SBS as a group of songs and lyrics that Jeff had inside of him at the time that just came out naturally. The songs just seem so familiar and bring me back to the joy and pleasure experienced with all the albums before. There is much to be thankful for this collection of music.