so, i saw gary jules tonight. he is amazing and i highly recommend his live show.

anyway, just before his final song he announced that he's trying to phase out the encore for singer-songwriters, that when you play small venues it seems a bit pretentious.

then he went on to say that he saw wilco (who he loves) recently with a friend of his who is in commercial real estate and therefore doesn't get out much. so they were at the show, listening to wilco for like, 3 days. they left the stage, everyone was applauding, then they came back for another hour. gary said that while he was happy for his friend who never gets out, he was thinking "oh, my feet!". so they finished up the encore (yay!) and then came back out for another 45 minutes. so i know i'm not the only one who agrees that wilco plays for a very very long time... :lol

i thought it was funny.

oh - and gary's favorite wilco song is handshake drugs.

good story, bridget. i definitely need to check out more of gary's stuff. i have the one record that everybody has, but haven't got much further than that.

see you at the fillmore in sept., right? :)

If you like Gary Jules, you should check out Michael Andrews in iTunes. They worked together on Donnie Darko I believe.

His soundtrack for the indie movie "Me and You and Everyone We Know" had some really nice tunes on it. (Also, cool movie.)

Dan C

Mike Andrews is amazing. I saw Greyboy Allstars recently (Mike Andrews band) and Gary Jules warmed up. Mike Andrews played with him a bunch. He's actually produced a lot of Gary Jules' stuff and the Allstars have played on some of his stuff especially Mike, Robert Walter, and Karl Denson.

But I didn't know Gary was in his 80s. Shows too long?

• 1 year later...