Wet Decemberists Show?

I was there for about half of it. One of the park rangers asked me if Sting was on stage because there were so many people. I guess that was the only rock artist she knew. Then when the humidity really started to rise, I left and went shopping. On the way back to the El at about 9:30pm, I was running across the street and a cap blew a red light and almost killed me. :ohwell

Yeah for the most part I agree with the review. I remember thinking the infanta should have sounded more striking than it did.

It seems these orchestra re-imaginings come out better if you build them from the ground up like with Trey's work with the Vermont Youth Orchestra adapting some phish songs. Otherwise comes off a version closer to the album version like it seemed with the show yesterday.

All in all, a lot of muggy crowded fun.

I was there as well. First the weather - It drizzled a bit at the beginning of the set, but then it held off until after the show when it rained cats and dogs. Good karma for Chicago.

The place was packed, but there were plenty of good seats to be had in the pavillion area, just not in the front sections which were resevered for "members" and dignitaries. The sound was good, but here is my take.....

The Decemberists got lost in the Orchestra. There seems to be no point to having a band play in front of an orchestra unless you are going to bring the actual band up loud enough to be heard over a full orchestra. It would have been far better to have only a half orchestra and let the band be the show, but it wasn't like that. The drums from the Decemberists got lost in the percusssion of the orchestra as did the bass, among the basses and cellos. I wondered who did the arrangements. Crane Wife I was fine, but by part two the band was sucked up by the orchestra and the show slowed down considerably. When the band played alone it was great, but for the rest, well it was somewhat lifeless. The final two numbers Colin urged everyone go come down front, which we did, and it turned into a regular old rock show with a band and a mosh pit of sorts. This was a worthy idea, but a smaller orchstra, which gave the band more room to breath would have been far better. My first thought was that the Decemberists had gone full metal Moody Blues (a group I came to hate from hearing them at too many parties in college.) These collaborations are always iffy, but this one seemed particularly over done.

But then again what did any of us want for free? The place was absolutely packed, with people standing behind the outter walls. Also the crowd was not friendly to those standing.

All in all fun enough, particularly for the price. (DeRogatis split well before the encore by the way.)

LouieB

anyone have a lead on a recording? I was there but it didnt hit the ears particularly well being distracted by rain, the crowd noise, and messing around with my friends but I would love to hear a atleast somewhat more polished version sitting at home.

• 1 month later...