Wet Decemberists Show?

Hey Dan :wave

My high-school-age nieces from South Bend are planning to go with a bunch of friends. This is really disappointing news, though. They love The Decemberists and this show sounded perfect for them (free, no school the next day, etc). Dang. I'm not sure they'll make the trip now because of the rain.

OK, time for me to toot a type of horn that meteorologist students like to toot.

I said 5 days ago, in a Decemberists forum, that it should be raining before/during the show. And I used my own models and calculations, because I'm a nerd like that and wanted to get a specific forecast for my outdoor concert. This is a proud day for me.

[soapbox/]

I'm going to be there, rain or shine. But if they reschedule it for the next day, or at some point on the weekend, there will be hell to pay!

the band and 90% of everybody in attendance will be dressed like pirates, pier divers or submarine captains, so i'm not sure what the big deal over some water will be.

huh?

and does anyone know what time the band is actually coming on

and does anyone know what time the band is actually coming on

i heard 6:30. shit, i was planning on walking over to grant park after work today...it better not rain. i even tossed my umbrella aside this morning thinking 'hey, its beautiful out! much better than yesterday!' :no

i know the show's free, but you didnt need to pick up a ticket anywhere did you? maybe just for the pavillion or something..?

i heard 6:30. shit, i was planning on walking over to grant park after work today...it better not rain. i even tossed my umbrella aside this morning thinking 'hey, its beautiful out! much better than yesterday!' :no

i know the show's free, but you didnt need to pick up a ticket anywhere did you? maybe just for the pavillion or something..?

i usually have one stashed in my backpack if you need it i'll be at columbia (33 e. congress) after 4.

These grant park shows are free, and go on rain or shine (the performance area is nicely covered). You don't need a ticket. I read the start time is 6:30. And according to the park, there's some space age layering of sand and gravel under the grass to allow quick drainage and drying. Tho that may be fud.

How many people y'all think will show up for this tonight?? You expect a mob scene?? XRT has done some promos for it, but unless you kinda knew about it, I doubt there's a lot of casual fans that know??

Anything that's free at Grant Park usually leads to a mob scene. Plus, I heard only the back half of the pavillion will be available for seating to the public (the front half is reserved for members of the Grant Park music series), so that means more people in the back of the lawn (which is flat -- you won't be able to see the band).

If the crowds aren't large, I would suspect it's because of the threat of bad weather.

:angry Karma! Chicago gets too many good shows as it is.

But since I just moved from Az, I haven't been around for any good shows. I cannot wait for Wilco to play here or even On Fillmore.

At Millennium Park, Decemberists and orchestra not a perfect match

As thunder rolled and rain fell, the worlds of classical music and rock tried to find harmony Wednesday at the Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park.

It was only the third major rock concert at the pavilion in its three-year history, with the house band -- the Grant Park Orchestra -- backing up quirky Portland quintet the Decemberists.

The Decemberists are progressive rockers in indie-rock drag. On Wednesday, the co-ed band showed up looking like Gatsby-era bon vivants, in off-white and sherbet-colored summer-social attire. The soggy weather dampened the picnic vibe on the lawn for the capacity crowd of 15,000, but the music kept spirits high.

There

Kot's review is pretty right on. The Tain sounded pretty damn amazing though, and if they had just performed that it would have been a perfect show! It was quite an experience though, and I was glad to have experienced it. It's just weird to see a band with as many players on stage as were in the crowd the first time I saw them.