Roky Erikson movie..."You're Gonna Miss Me"

Great movie.....saw it screened last night. It is less a music bio than a family personnal movie about his/their struggles with Roky's mental illness as well as their own mental health issues. Really well done. The interview conducted by the Sound Opinion guys left alot to be desired, since the director had alot of really cogent things to say when asked quesitons that had some substance. DeRogotis really seemed at his worst last night, but at least Kot asked better questions.

This one is highly recommended, but very similar in style, structure and content to "Crumb" from a few years back. Don't watch this expecting alot of musical material, but it does shed some interesting light on a pioneering rock group, all of whom encountered serious problems both with drugs and personally. Roky is making a bit of a come back I suppose, playing Lollapalooza and a show at the Abbey, but I always think his appeal has less to do with what he plays and more to do with his mythic and somewhat unstable demeanor. I suppose it is good he is now well enough (relative term to be sure) to perform. One can only wish this guy well. Had he not been a somewhat famous musician, he would probably not have made it this far.

LouieB

I recently saw the Daniel Johnston doc and that was pretty hard to turn away from, I knew very little about him before seeing the documentary and am kind of fascinated a bit with him now. The only thing that surprises me is that Roky got one before Syd Barrett has really gotten a good one, at least here in the US.

I recently saw the Daniel Johnston doc and that was pretty hard to turn away from, I knew very little about him before seeing the documentary and am kind of fascinated a bit with him now. The only thing that surprises me is that Roky got one before Syd Barrett has really gotten a good one, at least here in the US.
I have yet to see the Daniel Johnson flick, but I think it is going on the Net Flix list sooner than later.

I kept thinking that Syd had even a shorter career than Roky. A movie certainly is in order. Maybe someone has one in the works.

LouieB

hey louie i was there last night too.

I was caught off guard by this film. Was def. expecting it to focus more on the music. I thought the film was excellent. I thought the film was a lot more graphic then The Devil and DJ

Been trying to get my hands on some original 13th floor vinyl.

As a Texan, i feel obligated to know more about both Roky and Daniel. Have seen the Johnston DVD.....amazing story.

The 13th Floor Elevators' early material is lethal garage thunder and besides, I'm a sucker for lead jug :dancing

Thanks for the heads up Lou. This sounds very interesting. I'd agree with partyroy that it baffles me that there hasn't been a definitive Syd Barrett doc come out, but other than a few TV appearances my guess is that there is almost nothing of the early Floyd or Syd's haphazard & short solo career out there that could be used

Can't wait to see this, and the Abbey show! Saw(and met) him last year at Intonation. I think his performance surprised a lot of the audience because it was pretty darn good, much more than a novelty show from one of rock's famous recluses, acid casualty, or other cliche that he has been described as. When he came to the side of the stage to sign autographs, he seemed a little like a deer in the headlights with the attention he was receiving. He was very cordial posing for pics etc. and had a smile thatsaid a thousand words to anyone who knew his background.

Also, vh1 classic showed a Barret biography in May that was pretty good. I think it was a brit show originally. Some very cool footage and Robyn Hitchcock playing his fave Barrett solo tunes.

This is available regarding Syd.. haven't seen it but I hear it's okay.

The Roky movie is harrowing. Not quite the feel good rock n roll biopic I was expecting. I was familiar with his life story, but I just wasn't really aware that after institutionalization etc. things were so bleak for him. It's too bad his brother didn't intervene sooner, but at least he got involved when he did.

Harrowing is right. I expected alot about his illness, but the depth of the family's story was most difficult to watch. Definitely not feel good.

Despite Roky's serious condition, he did manage to keep playing music after his hospitalization at Rusk. I know Syd Barrett put out a couple solo albums, but I think he disappeared earlier and more completely than Roky did. Not sure. By contrast Brian Wilson has been lucky I guess.

LouieB

Kinda off-topic, but didn't I see this thread closed earlier today? I couldn't figure that out.

I agree that a Spence doc would be a very worthwhile thing.

Gods yeah. I bet there's not a whole lot of footage though. It might make a good hour or so. :ohwell

Good point. I have seen two things - a clip of Moby Grape on The Mike Douglass Show and on Steve Paul's Scene (show).

Gods yeah. I bet there's not a whole lot of footage though. It might make a good hour or so. :ohwell

The Jandek film was made with no footage whatsoever, so I don't see a problem. I say bring on the Skip film.

This thread is timely in that Netflix made this their top recommendation for me yesterday. It's now on top of my queue.

Kinda off-topic, but didn't I see this thread closed earlier today? I couldn't figure that out.
Yea...that was weird. I don't know if I did that by accident or if it was closed by someone else, but I did reopen it.

LouieB