Devendra Banhart - Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon - Sept. 27

I just grabbed this off of Pitchfork, where apparently there is a tracklist of his upcoming album Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon. I must say, I am impressed and disturbed by what I hear on his myspace of the two new songs. I hear two really really good songs, no doubt, but on 'Tonada..' I couldn't even tell if it was him singing, it sounds like the gutted his quivering vocals in the studio in favor of a more Strokes-y/Killers type, deep baritone sound. Rosa is incredible. If the rest of the album is this good, though, he'll have made an album that should canonize him for anyone who considers themself a fan of music.

I wasn't sure of people's opinions of him here, since no one had even mentioned him until now. Is it whole "he's just some dumb hippie hipster" idea or something?

edit: that, and most people here appreciate a country/blues influence in their listening, is what I see.

i'm into it, but i think he needs some songwriting focus. there are some serious gaps between good and bad tunes on his records.

I somewhat agree with this, but it's not like he's Ryan Adams inconsistent or anything. I thought Cripple Crow was front to back fantastic minus maybe 4 or 5 tunes. I listen to it more than any other album put out that year.

if you want to find the positive influences of Devendra you need to look no further than the music of David Garza.

I was introduced to Devendra's music at Neil Young's bridge benefit show last year and love his live show as well as every release he has put out. But David Garza is 10 years his senior and the inventor of "Freak Folk". If you don't know his music and you enjoy Devendra you should check him out.

I'll be seeing Devendra later this year in Dallas which happens to be home to Garza. It will be interesting to see if Devendra pays homage.

if you want to find the positive influences of Devendra you need to look no further than the music of David Garza.

I was introduced to Devendra's music at Neil Young's bridge benefit show last year and love his live show as well as every release he has put out. But David Garza is 10 years his senior and the inventor of "Freak Folk". If you don't know his music and you enjoy Devendra you should check him out.

I'll be seeing Devendra later this year in Dallas which happens to be home to Garza. It will be interesting to see if Devendra pays homage.

David Garza is not the inventor of freak-folk. He has a couple of decent songs, but on the whole I would say his jams fall much closer to Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians than say, Vetiver. Sorry.

Dah-veed Garza is not the inventor of freak folk but he also sounds nothing like Edie Brickell. He acutally puts on quite a show. In fact, I would hesitate to call his music folk at all.

The Dah-veed performances I have seen were all pretty damn loud and tight (his drummer was amazing) - but then again I have not seen him in several years.

Edit: Dr. No I just noticed that you are from Dallas. So you've seen his shows and you really think he sounds like Edie Brickell? Did his style change?

Dah-veed Garza is not the inventor of freak folk but he also sounds nothing like Edie Brickell. He acutally puts on quite a show. In fact, I would hesitate to call his music folk at all.

The Dah-veed performances I have seen were all pretty damn loud and tight (his drummer was amazing) - but then again I have not seen him in several years.

Edit: Dr. No I just noticed that you are from Dallas. So you've seen his shows and you really think he sounds like Edie Brickell? Did his style change?

It's not so much that he sounds exactly like Edie Brickell; I just think his lyrics fall closer to coffehouse poetry/open mike shit than druggy stream of consciousness-type stuff. It's a very, very fine line, I admit. He put out some stuff in the early 90s that I would call embarassing, though.

Like this:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:jxfqxq90ld0e

Fair enough. Honestly, I haven't really followed him in quite a while. I think the last album I heard was Blind Hips In Motion.

I do remember some of his crazy, boozy shows from my college days, though. They were pretty good. Great crowd participation.