Monkey unlocks pen, eludes zoo staff

Tue Jul 31, 11:12 PM ET

TUPELO, Miss. - The Tupelo Buffalo Park and Zoo asked residents Tuesday to help in the recovery of a white-faced capuchin monkey that apparently managed to unlock his pen and escape. Oliver freed himself at about 8 a.m. and led park staff on a chase through the park's trail system before eventually eluding them.

Park employee Ann Stewart said Oliver will respond to his own name and may take bait of bananas, marshmallow or grapes. She urged people to call the park if they spot the mammal.

"He will bite. People around here have handled him, but he will bite. Just call the Buffalo Park," Stewart said.

Oliver is a nine-year-old capuchin, a species of monkey native to South and Central America.

Stewart believes Oliver could be in the Country Club or Colonial Estates areas, but said the monkey could have traveled much farther given his ability for speed.

"He could outrun the horses," she said in a http://www.djournal.com article. "You can't catch him. If he doesn't want to be caught you can't catch him."

Well I'll be a monkey's Uncle....Tupelo

Bravissimo!

Any one else picking up on the Brady Bunch theme here? Cousin Oliver comes to live with the Brady's ( a sort of cage in itself) because his father takes a job in the jungles of South America and leaves Oliver behind. Lots of high jinx ensue....

No?

When I was in Mississippi recently, I saw billboards for the Buffalo Park and thought: Really? There's a buffalo park in Tupelo? It struck me as odd for some reason.

Also, round about my senior year in high school, they built a new primate habitat at the SF zoo. One of the baby monkeys was getting picked on by the older and bigger monkeys, so his mother took him, climbed a tree, and went over the wall. If I recall, it took several weeks for them to be corralled, and people reported seeing them all over the neighborhoods around the zoo.

Monkey unlocks pen, eludes zoo staff

Tue Jul 31, 11:12 PM ET

"You can't catch him. If he doesn't want to be caught you can't catch him."

so, he wanted to be caught the first time you caught him? :monkey

I've recently learned that not only is this Oliver's second escape (the first time was six years ago and he remained elusive for two weeks) but he is nine years old, about the same age that cousin Oliver was when he had to move in with the Bradys. Just sayin' and all.