If you like Wilco...

Mark Olson is another great alt-country artist. I didn't find out until about 2 weeks ago when I saw an article about him in the paper, but Mark Olson from The Jayhawks is on tour - he has a new album out (The Salvation Blues). I picked it up the other day, and it's good. Like REALLY GOOD. People keep saying that it's the best thing he's done since The Jayhawks, and I completely agree - it's a really beautiful album, just really well arranged...and his songwriting is as good as its' ever been. There's even a Jayhawks holdover song on there - "Poor Michael's Boat."

On a whim, I decided to go see him at 400 Bar (Minneapolis - hometown!) this past weekend and it was amazing. Even besides the fact that we got a real surprise when Gary got on stage with him for a few songs, it was just a really great show. His band is top-notch - the violin player and Mark were so in sync with one another, it was uncanny - I don't think I've ever seen Mark so happy on stage. The woman singing harmony (and playing a bunch of different instruments) with him was WONDERFUL. AND they played some old Jayhawks favorites - something I don't think Mark has done since leaving the band!!!

All in all, a really great experience. I'm glad that I caught that article in time to go to the show. His Myspace page (http://myspace.com/markolsonmusic) shows him on tour through September, so I highly highly highly advise you catch his live show (and grab the CD if you don't already have it - they put a lot of effort into the packaging and it just adds to the CD). Long live Mark Olson!

-Sean

No kidding... I have a couple of their albums, and I can't figure out what the big deal is.
A couple?? I had no idea....actualy I like the single.

Every time I hear it I think they are saying..."I don't care about the Aunschluss....."

LouieB