WEEN Oct 20th at the Aragon Ballroom

• 1 month later...

So, I'm seeing the Ween show this weekend (my brother is a major Ween-head, and he's dragging me to my first Ween show), and I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations for bars near the Aragon for pre-show drinks. I don't really know Uptown--the Aragon is a venue I like to avoid--but there must be something around there, perhaps on the divey end of the spectrum?

Also, I haven't seen much talk about it around here, but I'm enjoying the new album. What do you Ween fans think of it?

-hacienda

I will also be at the show.

The bars around there aren't all that exciting. The Uptown Lounge is awful. The Kinetic Playground isn't much better. The Green Mill is, of course, fantastic, but I assume not really what you're looking for as far as pre-show bars go.

There's the Spot, a bit down on Broadway, near Montrose. I have not been there. On Montrose is the Driftwood, which is pretty so-so, which is to say not bad but nothing special.

If you want to drift a little bit further south, there's Bar on Buena, which is pretty awesome, though overpriced.

So, I'm seeing the Ween show this weekend (my brother is a major Ween-head, and he's dragging me to my first Ween show), and I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations for bars near the Aragon for pre-show drinks. I don't really know Uptown--the Aragon is a venue I like to avoid--but there must be something around there, perhaps on the divey end of the spectrum?

Also, I haven't seen much talk about it around here, but I'm enjoying the new album. What do you Ween fans think of it?

-hacienda

Like most Ween records, this one didn't do much for me on the first listen. I'll give it another couple spins but it'll probably sound much better after I see them Nov. 8th. That reminds me, I MUST take off work the next day. :pirate

Thanks for the run down on nearby bars. It doesn't sound encouraging, but there probably won't be too much time anyhow and I'm sure my group will opt for one of the not-good places.

As for the album, I haven't ever given any Ween albums much attention, but there is some good stuff on the new one--I like first and last thirds, especially Blue Balloon, Learnin to Love, Sweetheart in the Summer, and Your Party. The middle stretch (My Own Bare Hands to Shamemaker) doesn't do much for me. Honestly, I don't really know what to do with Ween--I much prefer the new Radiohead--but I'm looking forward to seeing what they do live. Of course, my brother has actually said he thinks the new Ween is a "masterpiece," so who knows...

-hacienda

Thanks for the run down on nearby bars. It doesn't sound encouraging, but there probably won't be too much time anyhow and I'm sure my group will opt for one of the not-good places.

This new place is pretty good. When the weather is nice they open the big windows. Great beers on tap and pretty good appetizers for a light pre-show meal. Just a short walk to the Aragon.

http://www.fatcatbar.com/

based on your avatar, i would recommend plastic surgery or a mirror

:ohwell ppizzle is beautiful.

Anyone going to be at the STL show?

I'll be there O-man! I am amtracking it down to Kirkwood on Sunday. Are you grabbing drinks anywhere before the show??

For sure,do you know the loop area? Bars and food for miles. Same street as the show,on Delmar. The Peagent has a bar called the Halo in which if you show up early they close the bar at full capacity and your let in 15 minutes before door time. I got my tickets late so I'm not sitting w/ my friends for the show. I'm kicking it alone as of right now, so a partner in crime sounds sweet. PM me info, cell # ect.

Ryan