took my dog to the vet today for her yearly check-up. mentioned to the vet that she freaks out when you try to trim her nails. the vet prescribed xanax for it, "to take the edge off." on my way home i thought, huh, was that prescription for me or the dog? anyone want some xanax?

took my dog to the vet today for her yearly check-up. mentioned to the vet that she freaks out when you try to trim her nails. the vet prescribed xanax for it, "to take the edge off." on my way home i thought, huh, was that prescription for me or the dog? anyone want some xanax?

I'll take one, two or eight please.

what kind of dog? both of my greyhounds are really bad about letting me trim their nails.

she's a border collie mix, a rescue. i've had her for almost 2 years and she has never been ok with the nail trim, no matter what's been tried. i'm not sure what her background was except she had been neglected for the first 3 months of her life, so who know why she doesn't like the nail trim.

i doubt i'll try the xanax trick. something seems very wrong about it.

There's nothing wrong with giving your pet a pill to help calm her down when she has to do something she doesn't like. Very possibly, after a couple doses of Xanax, and a couple "good" nail trimming experiences, she won't look at nail trimming as a huge ordeal, and she'll be okay with the procedure without the drug.

My cat was on anti-depressants for a while. When the prescription ran out, he was 10x worse than before.

i guess i'm nervous right now because i had a cat that went on anti-depressants and that made it worse rather than better, she would froth and spit when she knew it was time for her meds and got even more nervous about everything, not using her litter box. to the point that i had to give up on the meds and she is now living on a farm (and hopefully doing ok). this has all been recent, so maybe once the emotion of the cat situation calms down i'll be more open to try the meds on the dog. ninjas did have a good point.

i guess i'm nervous right now because i had a cat that went on anti-depressants and that made it worse rather than better, she would froth and spit when she knew it was time for her meds and got even more nervous about everything, not using her litter box. to the point that i had to give up on the meds and she is now living on a farm (and hopefully doing ok). this has all been recent, so maybe once the emotion of the cat situation calms down i'll be more open to try the meds on the dog. ninjas did have a good point.

My cat would piss everywhere. It was horrible.

He's on a farm* now too, unfortunately. It's been six months, and I can still smell his piss.

*Animal shelter

My cat would piss everywhere. It was horrible.

He's on a farm* now too, unfortunately. It's been six months, and I can still smell his piss.

*Animal shelter

i'm sure he's still not at the animal shelter*

and if you can still smell the pee than you haven't cleaned with Nature's Miracle

*i hope it was a no kill shelter

my kitty actually went to a farm, no astericks. although, now i'm worried because the person living there hasn't seen her since the first day, although there are signs of her. *sigh* my apartment doesn't smell like cat urine though, and i've had the bathmat on the floor of the bathroom for days now, it's nice to not have to think about what's on the floor.

Anti-Icky Poo! it's the best thing for getting cat urine out. although, if you use it as frequently as i've had to, the smell of the Anti-icky poo becomes associated with the smell of cat urine and it's all down hill from there. another *sigh*.