Acoustic Pickup

I have a Martin DX1 and want to get a pickup for it. Does anyone have any recommendations? I was thinking about going with a Martin thinline. Can anyone help with what the differences might be between a thinline bridge pickup and a soundhole pickup? Any info would be great. Thanks.

I feel like ive used them all by now...fishman, baggs, b-band, emg...martin thinline is made by Fishman as i recall...

Im using the K&K pure western pickup system on my Martin, its by far the best ive tried...its 3 specially designed transducers that you install on the inside of the bridgeplate, and it has the same endpin jack as most pickups. It is feedback resistant, has a really strong output for a passive system. Best of all, it realistically reproduces my guitar's tone, not the ceramic, quacky sound you get from an undersaddle pickup.

The thing works great, is minimally invasive, and runs about $100. Getting some sort of external preamp might benefit you with the K&K, dependingon if you use with an amp or PA...

Check out the user reviews at : http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...re+Western/10/1

good luck

j

On my Martin 000-15 I have the LR Baggs 'Element' pickup in it. Fantastic couldn't be happier. Clearly portrays the guitars true sound with no "shitty plugged in acoustic sound", reasonable price ($115 canadian) and a less obtrusive hole drilled in your guitar than others. Definately definately reccommend it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a taylor 214 i've ordered a sunrise pickup for. A few of my friends have them, and to me they sound amazing. They are kind of hard to find, but if you look online (bassexchange.com) you should find one. You can also get a bridge pick up, and run them both through a preamp, sounds awesome

Joe

I have an LR Baggs M1-Active that I am very happy with. I have an HD-28, and didnt really want to permanantly modify it, so I just slip it in the soundhole when I need it with the cable going out from the soundhole and it works great. It is a relatively cheap pickup, and it sounds really good without any fuss. I usually cut a little treble and bass at the P.A., and that is about it.

I dont like most pickups because it takes so much work to EQ them right, and then 90% of them sound like crap still. You have expensive acoustic guitars that sound exactly the same as cheap ones because the pickups kill the tone. On the M1, you get reliably good, with little to no effort and it does a decent approximation of what the guitar really sounds like.

I was thinking about going with the Baggs M1 as well -- I have a Santa Cruz 000-12. Glad to read the opinions here. What sort of amps are you guys playing through -- specifically acoustic amps or just directly into PA?

Also Kalle, how's the 000-15? I have been eyeing those lately. They seem like a relatively good deal for a Martin 000.

Tweedy uses the M1 through his Santa Cruz's so that's even more insentive to buy it!

You know I love my 000-15. It's a lower end Martin but it plays and sounds like a $2000+ one fantastic guitar I really couldn't be happier with it.

Tweedy uses the M1 through his Santa Cruz's so that's even more insentive to buy it!

You know I love my 000-15. It's a lower end Martin but it plays and sounds like a $2000+ one fantastic guitar I really couldn't be happier with it.

I have the D-15 and it's a little too boomy on the low end. I imagine that the smaller 000 body is the perfect balance point for an all-mahogany body.

The M1-A is better because you dont need a preamp, but you can use one if you have it.

I plug direct into the PA, and I bought it because I like Tweedy's acoustic sound on all the bootlegs I have. That is a great representation of what those things sound like.

It works on any amp, I have gotten some awesome tones with my martin, the m1-a and my narrow panel tweed deluxe actually!

The thing I like about it is that it is simple, and good. It isnt perfect by any means, but perfection in acoustic guitar amplification is very intrusive to the guitar and expensive. The m1-a is affordable, requires no mods to the instrument, and always sounds good. If you have a nice amp designed for acoustic guitars and a pre-amp, it obviously sounds better, but no matter what happens, you will have a useable sound that sounds like an acoustic guitar, and not a tin can with strings on it.