A handful of westerns, that are must see

UNFORGIVEN

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST

THE SEARCHERS

HIGH NOON

THE WILD BUNCH

THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALENCE

there are more, but if you don't know many, please see these

Now those are westerns! However I would add Shane (without a doubt!), The Good The Bad and The Ugly, The Mag Seven, Josey Wales and a whole mess of others. Here's a good list... http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/movi...movie_west.html

Unfortunately 3:10 lacked important elements that make a great western. Every great western needs it's moment of redemption, vindication and vengeance. There was plenty of western-like build up in Yuma but little payoff. There was a little redemption, I guess. Not much vindication and little to no vengeance. The final "showdown" if you could call it that was pretty bland and uneventful. I knew the movie would end poorly when a certain actor made a cameo appearance where the rail was being laid. Comparing it to The Unforgiven like some of the unknown critics listed during the promos should be a crime. It never even came close to the depth and character that the Unforgiven gave to the genre.

I agree that Ben Foster did a superb job and probably saved the movie at times for me. Crowe did a solid job as did Bale. In the end, I would say that 3:10 is to The Unforgiven as Sunshine is to 2001.

I'm a fan of Westerns as well - certainly Deadwood has changed some people's view of them, probably why there's a whole host of them coming out now... maybe.

Looking forward to catching this - the trailer looked good. Not sure about Jesse James though... will have to see.

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada was an interesting film - a very "modern" western...

Now those are westerns! However I would add Shane (without a doubt!), The Good The Bad and The Ugly, The Mag Seven, Josey Wales and a whole mess of others. Here's a good list... http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/movi...movie_west.html

Unfortunately 3:10 lacked important elements that make a great western. Every great western needs it's moment of redemption, vindication and vengeance. There was plenty of western-like build up in Yuma but little payoff. There was a little redemption, I guess. Not much vindication and little to no vengeance. The final "showdown" if you could call it that was pretty bland and uneventful. I knew the movie would end poorly when a certain actor made a cameo appearance where the rail was being laid. Comparing it to The Unforgiven like some of the unknown critics listed during the promos should be a crime. It never even came close to the depth and character that the Unforgiven gave to the genre.

I agree that Ben Foster did a superb job and probably saved the movie at times for me. Crowe did a solid job as did Bale. In the end, I would say that 3:10 is to The Unforgiven as Sunshine is to 2001.

OLD SCHOOL!@!@!!!,

I mean if we just can;t stop adding westerns, I'll dump some more personal favs -

The Long Riders

HUD (kinda, not really a western)

The Great Silence

My Darling Clementine

Bad Day At Black Rock

Dead Man

Butch Cassidy & The Sundance kid

The Ox-Bow Incidient

High Plains Drifter

Open Range (The Shootout at the end is worth all it's shortcomings)

• 4 months later...
It made me want to take a train off of a bridge.

How does one do that, exactly? It would seem to involve considerable forethought, preparation, and effort, what with the movement of the tracks and everything.

Better just to jump off the bridge, really.