Louis Armstrong on Segregation

Much was made of Jeff talking about the war a couple years back here. There are times when musicians need to speak out. Here is an interesting article which I knew something about, but not in this kind of detail. It also goes so show how much things have changed even in our lifetimes (well I was 7 at this point...) Many people called Armstrong an Uncle Tom, but when it mattered most he stepped up.

LouieB

The Day Louis Armstrong Made Noise

By DAVID MARGOLICK

Published: September 23, 2007

FIFTY years ago this week, all eyes were on Little Rock, Ark., where nine black students were trying, for the first time, to desegregate a major Southern high school. With fewer than 150 blacks, the town of Grand Forks, N.D., hardly figured to be a key front in that battle

That was great! Louis had been on my mind having just watched the new Johnny Cash show dvd. Their duet of Blue Yodel No. 9 was amazing, 40 years after Jimmie Rodgers' original duet with Louis. Having just returned from my second vacation to New Orleans this year, Louis' music and image still mark almost every city block.

That was great! Louis had been on my mind having just watched the new Johnny Cash show dvd. Their duet of Blue Yodel No. 9 was amazing, 40 years after Jimmie Rodgers' original duet with Louis. Having just returned from my second vacation to New Orleans this year, Louis' music and image still mark almost every city block.

I lived in New Orleans for 5 years. Beautiful city. Incredibly segregated though.

I thought Ken Burns' Jazz segment on Louis was really well done, probably moreso than all the other major jazz figures. (and not because W.Marsalis was the chief evangel-- uh, sorry, advisor)

Definitely a study in contradictions.

Wow...*goosebumps*
Yea, the article did the same to me, which is why I thought I would share.

I thought Ken Burns' Jazz segment on Louis was really well done, probably moreso than all the other major jazz figures. (and not because W.Marsalis was the chief evangel-- uh, sorry, advisor)

Definitely a study in contradictions.

Well neither Ken Burns nor Wynton and ruin the Louis Armstrong story. Not only is Armstrong one of the great musicans of the 20th century, his story is both dramatic and inplausible.

LouieB