Flashback 1976

A guy at our class reunion was wearing an outfit that reminded me of this album cover.

boc_LP.jpg

I still have some bicentennial stuff.

I spent the summer in PA...ironic since I lived in Montreal and we had the Olympics that year. I broke my foot and was in a cast for those exact two weeks, got the cast off on my birthday.

Musically, I remember hearing "Afternoon Delight" on the radio a lot. I was 11, what the hell did I know.

I still have some bicentennial stuff.

I attribute the recent uptick of Bicentennial quarters appearing in my pocket change to broke people cannibalizing their coin collections.

It was a KISS year - that year.

True. At least for me it was. My first show-the Destroyer tour. It was all downhill after that for them in hindsight.

I had my 77 class reunion on Sat. nite. We got a hold of alot of musos from our year . . . Sorry but "the KISS year" got me . . . I called Juan Croucier (original Ratt bassist) and he showed up . . . Dang, playing Kiss covers beautiful and stoned* . . . Juan had KISS in the Cellar to record at some point in time. I couldn't tell you when . . . when we we're in high school we covered BOC's Bucks Boogie . . . we were into Yes and Tull but Juan would say nobody wants to hear "Thick as a Brick" for a 1/2 hour . . . He was way into Kiss, I think he got some stage moves from Gene Simmons . . .

o.k. o.k. boring I know . . . It's just that the weekends festivities coincided with another related area reunion, so it was nonstop . . . cowpunk pioneer Ryan Hedgecock showed (from Lone Justice, Maria McKee's partner) because his (and everybody elses in our hoods) guitar teachers Dennis and Greg Decastro we're there . . . my childhood best firend came from Denver, Dave Kerman (5 uu's, U Totem) . . .

. . . I told Greg DeCastro about looking out at Catalina from Point Vicinte (sp) and realizing . . . Sky blue Sky . . . and that Greg had named his son Skye after his childhood best friend Sky(sp) . . . I gotta leave it there . . but these types of coincidences are life afirming, given the pasage of so many years and the relationships that shape us . . .

When Greg and Dennis we're playing in the Davis's back patio for many of their old students, family and friends, I got a feeling of acient story tellers passing down the oral history to the next generation . . .

now if I could have just stopped talking . . . gotta learn to get outta the way . . .

O.K., now for something completely different . . . and humbling

In 1977-78 and beyond I played keyboard in the DeFranco Family, I was 18 at the start . . . and now the coinky-dink . . . Jeff Tweedy says the song title, "Hearbeat, It's a Love Beat" in the sunken treasure DVD . . . dang, somebody on VC metion that it was on Sundance Channel, so I watch it on cable and freaked a little hearing that . . . I fianally bought the DVD a few weeks ago and realized Scott Mc. is in that scene as well . . .

he said hello at Spaceland (Minus 5 gig), when he walked over to where I was at the bar, of course he doesn't know me from Adam, he was just being his friendly jovial self. I was clueless and metioned something about keyboard since he was at the board in shots from an Oregon Wilco show . . . "I always play guitar in the Minus 5" . . . I heard he was kind of an enciklepedia(sp) about music and recordings . . . man I could have been a real Spaceland Space Cadet and mentioned the D.F. . . . naaahhhh . . .

*(bleached blonde bobbie blotzer didn't show . . . i think the HMD had a gig)

p.s. I promise not to start a blog . . . cause it would suck . . .

I attribute the recent uptick of Bicentennial quarters appearing in my pocket change to broke people cannibalizing their coin collections.

That's what I did with them and the 2 dollar bills back then - used them to buy baseball cards and Hot Rod magazines.