New Steve Earle- opinions?

yea, the goo on it isn't very...

This was a worthy experiment (apparently Del and Steve didn't exactly get along once they tried going on tour, between lifestyle and politics I am sure it got a bit tense at times), but compared to all the really fine bluegrass out there, it just didn't make it.

LouieB

I think The Mountain is pretty fantastic. I also really enjoyed when Del McCoury got mad at Steve for cussing too much. That's what's wrong with most bluegrass these days--not enough cussing.

So far all the tracks I've heard from this have really disappointed me, especially "City of Immigrants". I loved The Revolution Starts Now..., though my favorite is probably still I Feel Alright.

i dig City of Immigrants, but my faves would be TN Blues, Sparkle and Shine, and Down Here Below. those tracks hold up to his best stuff for me.

Frankly if there is a really weak album in Earle's catalogue it is The Mountain. The Del McCoury band is great, but the songs are some of his weakest and the way he sings doesn't fit in that well.

Louie B, this is the first time I think I have disagreed with you. Oh well...

My favorite Earle record is El Corazon or train 'A Comin, but this new one just doesn't stick with me.

And if you ever get a chance to read his biography, do it. He IS Behind The Music!

Thanks everyone- quite a range of opinions. Based on the thread, I'll have to take a fistful of old Steve Earle CDs in the car with me tomorrow- it's been awhile since I've listened to him.

I'll have to say the Tom Waits cover was very disappointing.

Frankly if there is a really weak album in Earle's catalogue it is The Mountain. The Del McCoury band is great, but the songs are some of his weakest and the way he sings doesn't fit in that well.

UMM.

Wow.

The title track? Have you given that one more than a cursory listen? Levon Helm's cover of it is the only song of '07 that's come close to moving me to tears.

UMM.

Wow.

The title track? Have you given that one more than a cursory listen? Levon Helm's cover of it is the only song of '07 that's come close to moving me to tears.

Yea I have. I gave the thing several listens, but compared to many of the other post prison albums it just doesn't do it for me. It isn't terrible, none of his albums are, I just like the others better.

LouieB