New Steve Earle- opinions?

Its OK. not great, but not bad. It doesn't really rock at all, and just kind of floats by. 5 years ago, Steve Earle was one of my favorite artists, now his act just seems tired to me. For instance, I can't really take his love songs about his new wife too seriously, since she is wife number 8 (or 9?). And the production on Washington Square (one of the Dust Brothers) is a bit too slick for Steve's style, using a lot of electronic beats. If your a fan, you will enjoy it, but if its just a casual listening thing, it will not blow you away. Although I was very surprised to see that John Medeski played keys on it, and that none of the musicians that had been Dukes for the past few years are on the record.

I saw him play last night at Martyr's (it was a WXRT "Live from studio x" thing). I never listened to a lot of his stuff, but he is a damn fine songwriter. Lin Brehmer told him he actually seemed contented on his new album, Steve said that his world is very satisfying right now, and something about haiku (sp?) and how he practices it and it's about seeing your immediate surroundings or something. He did a few songs from the new CD with his wife, and some old songs as well. Only a 50 minute show, but very entertaining!

I saw him play last night at Martyr's (it was a WXRT "Live from studio x" thing). I never listened to a lot of his stuff, but he is a damn fine songwriter. Lin Brehmer told him he actually seemed contented on his new album, Steve said that his world is very satisfying right now, and something about haiku (sp?) and how he practices it and it's about seeing your immediate surroundings or something. He did a few songs from the new CD with his wife, and some old songs as well. Only a 50 minute show, but very entertaining!
I was there too...

Earle is an excellent songwriter and some of the new stuff was pretty good, but let's face it, when a writer gets to the point where they have to reference an earlier work in a later song, they are a bit out of ideas. Actually I thought his last album was one of his weakest in general too.

Great show all around though. Met some really nice people too. (Even if a few of us did get yelled at for trying to sneak into the green room and say a quick hello.)

LouieB

Chitaper, thanks for recording that ... :) The "Sparkle and Shine" song was my favorite right away ... it is so sweet and simple. He certainly does seem quite smitten with his lovely new wife. He also sang "City of Immigrants" with wife Allison Moorer (

)

I like the album a lot. But I'm listening to it without any expectations (I am new to Steve Earle's music). I have no idea what a Steve Earle album "should" sound like. I'm taking my 30% off coupon to Borders and get the CD/DVD deluxe edition, cuz I'm just a sucker for the deluxe editions of about anything.

I really like it. It's my favorite since "Transcendental Blues"

Smells about right to me. The lead track isn't lazy at all, contrary to an earlier opinion in this thread. It sports the most indelible melody of any of Earle's recent(ish) folk songs, and I catch myself singing along with it every time I spin the disc. That has to count for something.

I like that he's moved away from the political songs with a limited shelf life, too.

Average,just give Jerusalem another spin and you'll know why he isn't "The Last Electric Troubadour"anymore.

Here's a nice one from '96:

Steve Earle And The Dukes Live in London, England, Shepherds Bush Empire, 1996 @ 192

I Feel Alright

Hard-Core Troubadour

Now She's Gone

My Old Friend the Blues

Someday

The Other Kind

Nowhere Road

Angry Young Man

I Ain't Ever Satisfied

South Nashville Blues

Valentine's Day

Goodbye

Billy And Bonnie

Fearless Heart

The Devil's Right Hand

http://lix.in/25e750

Let me hear-Howdy :music

I was there too...

Earle is an excellent songwriter and some of the new stuff was pretty good, but let's face it, when a writer gets to the point where they have to reference an earlier work in a later song, they are a bit out of ideas. Actually I thought his last album was one of his weakest in general too.

Great show all around though. Met some really nice people too. (Even if a few of us did get yelled at for trying to sneak into the green room and say a quick hello.)

LouieB

I was there, too.

That is where I met Louie and Wendy. In fact he, my wife, and I were the ones who got yelled at for trying to sneak into the green room. Oh well. I have yet to hear the record, but I do like the sound of the new songs from the acoustic versions that I heard the other night. My missus really liked them and is probably on her way to the store now to go buy it.

So you were! :lol

Nice bald spot.... :lol

The lead track isn't lazy at all, contrary to an earlier opinion in this thread.
Not saying it is a bad song, but his first big hit was Guitar Town and he is referencing it in his own song which is a touch lazy.

Nice guitar he played on.

LouieB

Nice bald spot.... :lol

Not saying it is a bad song, but his first big hit was Guitar Town and he is referencing it in his own song which is a touch lazy.

Nice guitar he played on.

LouieB

or retrospective... it's not like he referenced it and figured people wouldn't notice.

i personally think it's great when artists self reference old material in their lyrics

or retrospective... it's not like he referenced it and figured people wouldn't notice.

i personally think it's great when artists self reference old material in their lyrics

Yea, I don't have a big problem with it, but no one could NOT notice it, since not only was it his first hit single, but also his first major album. I think it stuck out like a sore thumb in what was otherwise a fairly subtle and sensitive song.

Frankly most of the new songs I heard the other night from the new album, including this song, are far better than most anything on the Revolution Starts .....Now. The duets wtih Allison Moorer were very fun.

Steve Earle is an unbelievably great songwriter in general with a string of top notch albums. I suppose he is entitled to have a slow period or two (last album) and to reference his own work within his own work. If after all he has been through he can hook up with some like Allison Moorer, I guess he really has it going.....

LouieB

So far all the tracks I've heard from this have really disappointed me, especially "City of Immigrants". I loved The Revolution Starts Now..., though my favorite is probably still I Feel Alright.

I know that Matt and Kyle are really into this album, but it's the latest in a series of underwhelming Earle releases. I love the guy, but have lost a lot of interest.

ie that murder of waits 'down in the hole' is abominable and makes me worry about season 5 of the wire, to which it will be the theme song.

So far all the tracks I've heard from this have really disappointed me, especially "City of Immigrants". I loved The Revolution Starts Now..., though my favorite is probably still I Feel Alright.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion (I liked City of Immigrants), but the one thing I think we all can agree about is I Feel Alright is one of the greatest albums ever. Frankly if there is a really weak album in Earle's catalogue it is The Mountain. The Del McCoury band is great, but the songs are some of his weakest and the way he sings doesn't fit in that well.

LouieB

I know that Matt and Kyle are really into this album, but it's the latest in a series of underwhelming Earle releases. I love the guy, but have lost a lot of interest.

ie that murder of waits 'down in the hole' is abominable and makes me worry about season 5 of the wire, to which it will be the theme song.

I was REALLY looking forward to this record, and it does disappoint me

the mountain = not very goo.
yea, the goo on it isn't very...

This was a worthy experiment (apparently Del and Steve didn't exactly get along once they tried going on tour, between lifestyle and politics I am sure it got a bit tense at times), but compared to all the really fine bluegrass out there, it just didn't make it.

LouieB