Cuomo Demos to Include Songs from "Songs From The Black Hole"

Geffen will be releasing a CD of Rivers' home demos in December. According to Rolling Stone, this will include tracks from the mythical (in Weezer fan circles at least) "Songs From The Black Hole," the album that got scrapped before Pinkerton. Those songs are something like the Holy Grail for Weezer fans. I can't wait to hear what might have been.

As we told you yesterday, Rivers Cuomo will soon release a compilation of demos without his Weezer counterparts. Alone: The Home Recordings Of Rivers Cuomo 1992-2007 will hit aisles and digital shelves on December 12th. Following Cuomo
  • 2 weeks later...

Songs from the Black Hole is no better than any of their recent offerings, truth be told.

I was a huge Weezer fan for a period, and downloaded all the bootlegs. "Summer Songs 2000" was also revered for quite a time. One thing's for certain, Rivers has a HUGE catalogue of decent unreleased material. I'm not sure that much of it could be classified as vital though.

Songs from the Black Hole is no better than any of their recent offerings, truth be told.

I was a huge Weezer fan for a period, and downloaded all the bootlegs. "Summer Songs 2000" was also revered for quite a time. One thing's for certain, Rivers has a HUGE catalogue of decent unreleased material. I'm not sure that much of it could be classified as vital though.

"Blast Off" is better than anything post-Pinkerton.

• 1 month later...

wiki link

disclaimer: i don't know much about weezer. I think I have 2 albums of theirs. There are a few songs that I absolutely adore, but I don't know the catalog all that well as their sound always seems to blend together for me and I lose interest

So Sunday I was in a local chain music store, picking up some presents since I waited too long to order everything in advance on line. While I was skimming, I thought I heard what sounded like Weezer songs, but they seemed much better (to my taste). About half an hour later I realized that the only reason I was still shopping was this rivers cuomo album playing over the speaker system.

I guess it comes out today. I'll certainly be picking up a copy.

I've heard it a few times now, for the most part it's really good. However, I did find it a bit depressing, watching a songwriter slowly improve his craft, reach his peak, and then just fall apart.

I've heard it a few times now, for the most part it's really good. However, I did find it a bit depressing, watching a songwriter slowly improve his craft, reach his peak, and then just fall apart.

upon reflection it is hard for me to reconcile the joy some of those songs brought me on Sunday with every note I ever heard of "beverly hills"

So, is the consensus that the album is good or bad? I was a rabid Weezer fan during the Blue Album and Pinkerton years. Then that band went to shit.

EDIT: I listened to the album on iTunes. I'm kind of disappointed. Oh well. At least he wrote two really good albums. :/

So, is the consensus that the album is good or bad? I was a rabid Weezer fan during the Blue Album and Pinkerton years. Then that band went to shit.

I'm wondering the same.. Allthough Maladroit had some good stuff on it, Make Believe is a joke..

Guest David Puddy
i've heard it's better than the last 3 pieces of shit at least... confirm/deny?

there were like 3 good songs, and the rest was the musical equivalent of a bunch of garbage slept on by a homeless man and then used as his toilet hours later.

so yeah, better than the last three...

I dunno, it is what it is - a collection of demos and nothing more. I think this does a good job of eliminating the mystique surrounding Music from the Blackhole. Overall, I'm not impressed with it and in fact wish I had just downloaded the sucker.

Guest David Puddy
Definitely not impressed.. Some of the songs are actually pretty laughable.. It's kind of sad how Rivers could produce two brilliant albums, and then just completely lose it.. Maybe it was Matt Sharp leaving the band..

matt sharp was pretty rad... at one point or another i was digging that first Rentals album. but i bet if listened to it now, it'd probably be laughable.

matt sharp was pretty rad... at one point or another i was digging that first Rentals album. but i bet if listened to it now, it'd probably be laughable.

Yeah, I actually listened to that album a couple months ago.. It really is a great album. I love the distorted guitar combined with the moogs.. A couple of the songs are incredibly cheesy, but that's exactly what they were going for... But I mean, their next album "Seven More Minutes".. not good... not good at all...