Cuomo Demos to Include Songs from "Songs From The Black Hole"

Honestly, I can't remember a band flying as high as Weezer and then doing a 180 and putting out total shit music.

Exactly.. And Weezer was one of those bands that I never expected that to happen to.. Every song from Blue, Pinkerton, the singles of that era, the songs from sound tracks.. Just great music.. Have you heard the song "Jamie"? What an amazing song.. But it seems as soon as Matt Sharp left the band, they started to fall downhill.. The Green album was just dull and generic, Maladroit was OK.. It had a couple descent songs and I thought they were going to make a comeback.. but nope.. They just had to go and release "Make Believe"...

Have you heard the song "Jamie"? What an amazing song..

Yes I have, and yes it is. Have you heard "Waiting on You"? I thought that one was great too. Last night on VH1, there was some special about great videos, and they mentioned the "Buddy Holly" video. I just thought, what the hell happened to this (awesome) band?

But I mean, their next album "Seven More Minutes".. not good... not good at all...

IMHO Seven More Minutes is a great record (probably the best to come out of the Weezer camp) as are all the records Matt has done (Weezer + The Rentals + solo) minus the new Rentals EP.

Yes I have, and yes it is. Have you heard "Waiting on You"? I thought that one was great too. Last night on VH1, there was some special about great videos, and they mentioned the "Buddy Holly" video. I just thought, what the hell happened to this (awesome) band?

Oh yes.. I actually covered "Waiting on You" in a band.. And then they had "Susanne" - Great.. "Mykel and Carli" - Great.. The Christmas songs.. "You Gave your Love too Me Softly".. "Devotion"....Just great tunes..

IMHO Seven More Minutes is a great record (probably the best to come out of the Weezer camp) as are all the records Matt has done (Weezer + The Rentals + solo) minus the new Rentals EP.

I should probably give it another chance.. Haven't heard it in years. But I just remember it lacking the balls that the first album had.. It had the cheesy, pop sound, but with no balls.. If that makes any sense at all.. haha.. The first album had that distorted, bassey, ballsy, guitar tone that I just love..

Oh yes.. I actually covered "Waiting on You" in a band.. And then they had "Susanne" - Great.. "Mykel and Carli" - Great.. The Christmas songs.. "You Gave your Love too Me Softly".. "Devotion"....Just great tunes..

Yep...and then...none.

I don't know!! I saw The Rentals perform it with Rachel Haden on lead vocals and Matt on bass... it was a terrific moment.

Wow.. Lucky you.. I bet that was a terrific moment indeed. I was going to see them in August at the Orange Peel in Asheville, but something came up.. I bet they can still rock a great show..

Cuomo Keen On Archival Releases, New Weezer CD

Weezer

December 26, 2007, 10:45 AM CT

Gary Graff, Detroit

Rivers Cuomo hopes that his new solo set, "Alone -- The Home Recordings of Rivers Cuomo," is not the last the world will hear of the prolific stash of material that hasn't made it onto Weezer albums.

"I would love to put out at least one more," Cuomo, who chose the albums 18 songs from seven CD's worth of potential tracks he's recorded over the years, tells Billboard.com. In fact, the possibility exists for a series not unlike Who leader Pete Townshend's "Scoop" albums, so Cuomo says that "I'm talking with the record company (now) to figure out what's the best way for me to get more of this stuff out, and if they're gonna be involved or not. But it's certainly my hope to put out as much of this stuff as I can."

For the moment, however, future vault-raiding will have to wait in line behind Weezer's sixth album, which Cuomo says is "almost done" and that he hopes to release in April or May. "I'm listening to the songs every day, trying to figure out which order they go in and understand what the spirit is behind this album," he explains. "It's still changing every day a little bit. It's still evolving."

Cuomo describes the new songs, which are being co-produced by Rick Rubin, as "dark and deep and beautiful," and "definitely more sophisticated and adventurous. You'll hear very long songs ... and non-traditional structures."

Cuomo says Weezer fans will also hear more from Weezer's other band members, who also wrote songs and even sing lead on some tracks. On one unnamed cut, drummer Pat Wilson sings and plays lead guitar while Cuomo takes over the drum stool.

"It was a blast," Cuomo says of the all-in approach. "It definitely feels like there's a lot more of our energy that over the years has been kind of pent-up and now has been released and is flowing freely between the four of us. It's really exciting."

Cuomo's other major project is a "deep and detailed" memoir tracing the period from Weezer's formation in 1992 to the release of its first album. He anticipates another year of writing before he's ready to turn it over to a publisher

I am cautiously optimistic about this album, just as I have been about every Weezer album since Green.

Of course, I'm one of the few people in the world who loves Maladroit. Sure, the lyrics are mostly pretty lame, but it's got some great songs.

no love for the original song he submitted for Angus?

Chess starts off hoaky, but i was really surprised where it went.

also surprised that in the liners it says he wrote a 6 min epic tune here recently. hopefully it makes the record.

maybe i like it because:

a - i got it as a gift and invested no money

b - i write and record songs at home myself, so maybe i can see potential in demo recordings

about Black Hole - are there more tracks that have leaked that didn't even make this release?

correct me if i'm wrong, but some of the tracks on Pinkerton were part of Black Hole originally, right?

Yeah there were a few other songs from SFTBH. "You Won't Get With Me Tonight" was pretty rocking. "Oh No This is Not For Me" was fun. "Come To My Pod" was pretty bad, I recall.