I tracked it down. If anyone is interested send me a PM.

Ben folds admits to leaking his "fake" album.

Rolling Stone article: http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/225...it_ben_folds_co

I think he might have turned some people off with these fake songs though. They sound just enough like real, albeit sucky, songs that people might have been turned off from buying the album. I know I was!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben folds admits to leaking his "fake" album.

Rolling Stone article: http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/225...it_ben_folds_co

I think he might have turned some people off with these fake songs though. They sound just enough like real, albeit sucky, songs that people might have been turned off from buying the album. I know I was!

I actually like the fake album. The lyrics are pretty trite, but damn they are bunch of hooky pop songs that get stuck in your head.

Plus when a lyric references Rushmore, it gains some points for me.

The fact the leak was fake makes me want to buy the album even more

considering his post BFF work has been just decent to average at best,...

Wrong.

Case and Point, "Late" and "Landed (string Version)" from Songs for Silverman; and "Still Fighting It" from Rockin the Suburbs.

Three great songs.

• 2 weeks later...

Ben Folds posted some interesting info on a folds fan site today:

We've been planning something for Chapel Hill on Sept 18th that I'm told we have to wait a few more days to announce. There will be those who shit. I know I will. Very excited but I gotta hold it in a few more days.

Most likely something involving Ben possibly uniting with the former members of the Five for a night, or at the very least Darren Jesse's band Hotel Lights will open.

Review of Way To Normal from Paste Magazine:

Ben Folds

Ben Folds aims at normal, ends up on his butt in Japan

By Jaan Uhelszki

Ben Folds may have named his third solo disc Way To Normal, but the North Carolina native doesn't have any such destination in mind. If you listen closely, you can see he's on the highway to hell, or at least to "Effington," his own version of the Truman Show. More movie set than true home, that song and the entire album reaffirms the long-suspected idea that Folds is more comfortable on the margins of art, respectability and society, a perpetual outsider reveling in his own eccentricities, from naming his former trio Ben Folds Five to mounting a tour with Ben Lee and Ben Kweller and dubbing it "The Bens" to producing an album for William Shatner to palling around with "Weird" Al Yankovic.

Instead, these 12 songs are more of an anthropological study of aberrant human behavior, idiosyncratic news stories and bizarre chapters of the musician's own autobiography, all observed with the same unstinting absurdist eye as J.D. Salinger when he penned Nine Stories over 50 years ago. And much like Salinger's "Uncle Wiggley in Connecticut," Folds' "Kylie From Connecticut" suffers from the same thwarted dreams, disillusionment and frozen acceptance as the highball-drinking heroines in "Wiggley," and the song conveys that same sense of being the prisoner of your own wrong choices.

But this doesn't seem to be the case for the Folds. Married four times, he seems obsessed with dissecting gender relations on this album, and understanding the physics of love in the bombastic and misogynistic "The Bitch Went Nuts" and "You Don't Know Me," his fragile, fractured duet with Regina Spektor. The album's standout track, the latter delves into a couple's intimacy problems using a he said/she said dynamic, but with a twist. Like those frothy Doris Day and Rock Hudson movies of yore, the song shows how a little bit of mystery works for a relationship. Almost high-concept musical theater, it's both lighthearted and profound, a blast of cold water on your expectations.

Folds returns to the theme on two-song suite "Before Cologne" and "Cologne," but with much different results. It's a travelogue of a relationship in the last stages of decay, and it exquisitely captures imaginary conversations with an absent lover, and the small claustrophobic details that stay with you as watch your heart breaking. Woven into the middle of the song

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hiroshima is awful indeed. I skip it every time. I like a lot of the music on the album, but the lyrics are pretty juvenile on most of the songs.

Good news is he confirmed he will be recording an album this winter with author Nick Hornby, so hopefully the writing will improve drastically.

I'd say my favorites on this album are the slower tracks, "Cologne" and "Kylie From Connecticut." Dr. Yang is fun too.

I like it way better than Silverman. Last nights show was good. He played most of the album and fake versions along with some good BFF songs...

:dancing

i dig silverman, it's just a different type of record for him...

seeing him live back in march was amazing. i wasn't expecting such a good show.

did he do "narcolepsy"? that song is awesome! :)

i dig silverman, it's just a different type of record for him...

seeing him live back in march was amazing. i wasn't expecting such a good show.

did he do "narcolepsy"? that song is awesome! :)

The Ben Folds Five Songs he played were

Battle

Philosophy

Kate

Army

I have seen him do Narcolepsy several times in the past and it is a great intense live song!

I still feel a little silly watching his bass player and listening to him as he sounds identical to Sledge in terms of sound.

Hiroshima is awful indeed. I skip it every time. I like a lot of the music on the album, but the lyrics are pretty juvenile on most of the songs.

Wonders if you are listening to the real album that came out yesterday or the fake leak that came out a couple of months ago. The fake leak is pretty juvenile and lyrically dumb (which was its point I think). The real album is pretty cool, lyrically more mature, but not a hell of a lot more, then the leak. Ben has always had a tongue and cheek way of witting, which can be off putting, but I think there are some great stories in the songs.

I really like Hiroshima, it has an obvious nod to Elton John, which I like, though it meanders at the end, and the crowd noise is unnecessary. You don't know me, Errant Dog, Cologne, and Kylie from Connecticut, are the highlights. Though I don't think anything can beat Bitch Went Nutz from the leak.

I really like this album so far and think it is a significant improvement over Songs for Silverman. Even the songs that sound like they could have been on that album (Cologne and Kylie from Connecticut) sound better because there's more variety here. Maybe Silverman had the same variety of sound, but my impression of it having not listened to it in awhile is that it was a flat record. I think the caliber of songs on this one is better and I genuinely like most of them so far. The only song I can't get into is Free Coffee. Other than that I think it's a solid record.

Does anyone know the story behind Brainwascht?