I'm Not There Concert in NYC - Nov. 7th

The lineup for the I'm Not There concert at the Beacon Theater in NYC looks phenomenal, but the question is, will Jeff and Nels show up to perform? The show promises "Special Guests", Jeff does Simple Twist of Fate on the soundtrack, Nels is a member of the Million Dollar Bashers who are scheduled to perform, and Wilco is off on Nov. 7th, but they'd have to fly from Belgium to New York to Spain in the span of 3 days. Seems a bit much, but who knows...

Lineup below:

Calexico

Cat Power

The Roots

My Morning Jacket

J Mascis

Yo La Tengo with Buckwheat Zydeco

Mason Jennings

Glenn Hansard and Marketa Irglova

Joe Henry

John Doe

Michelle Shocked & Jimmy LaFave

Mark Lanegan

Terry Adams Rock & Roll Quartet

Dan Hicks & The Hot Licks

Al Kooper & Funky Faculty

Ian Ball & Olly Peacock (Of Gomez)

Lee Ranaldo & the Million Dollar Bashers

special guests at a Bob Dylan Movie concert...hm...maybe Dylan?

Wow. That hadn't even occurred to me. The fact that seats are $150 for ORCH and Jeff won't even be there made me think this was something I could live without. That being said, a rousing, everyone on stage, encore of I Shall Be Released with the man himself, a la The Last Waltz would be pretty freakin cool. And maybe, just maybe, worth $150. Damn $150.

Wow. That hadn't even occurred to me. The fact that seats are $150 for ORCH and Jeff won't even be there made me think this was something I could live without. That being said, a rousing, everyone on stage, encore of I Shall Be Released with the man himself, a la The Last Waltz would be pretty freakin cool. And maybe, just maybe, worth $150. Damn $150.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any concert I would pay $150 dollars to go see. Maybe a Nirvana reunion, including Cobain, or one where they sacrifice Hootie and the Blowfish after the encore.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any concert I would pay $150 dollars to go see. Maybe a Nirvana reunion, including Cobain, or one where they sacrifice Hootie and the Blowfish after the encore.

Well, in fairness, the $150 seats are on the floor. You can get seats in the balcony for $50, I think. And, these days, you can easily spend $150 (or more) on tix to any Broadway show or a Madonna/Springsteen/Stones concert at MSG. So, it's not THAT crazy, as a concept. But you are right -- this is Calexico, Yo La Tengo, Joe Henry, etc. I love most of those bands, but $150 seems bizarre. But there I go rationalizing again... Also, in fairness, there are about 20 bands playing -- so the overhead for a show like this has to be pretty heavy, right?

Speaking of 20 bands playing, how do they pull off a show like this? Is there a way to pull it off seamlessly? Does everyone bang away on the same drumkit and play through the same amps? Does Ira Kaplan lug out his own pedal board when YLT does their 1-2 songs? Anyone ever been to a show like this?

Well, in fairness, the $150 seats are on the floor. You can get seats in the balcony for $50, I think. And, these days, you can easily spend $150 (or more) on tix to any Broadway show or a Madonna/Springsteen/Stones concert at MSG. So, it's not THAT crazy, as a concept. But you are right -- this is Calexico, Yo La Tengo, Joe Henry, etc. I love most of those bands, but $150 seems bizarre. But there I go rationalizing again... Also, in fairness, there are about 20 bands playing -- so the overhead for a show like this has to be pretty heavy, right?

Just to defend my man, Bruce Springsteen. The tickets for this latest tour have been under $100. (They were over $100 here in Canada but that's because you Americans are having trouble adjusting to the fact our Monopoly money is now worth more than your prescious greenbacks.) He should not be in the same category as money-grubbers like Madonna, the Stones and (shiver) The Eagles.

Anyway, this sounds like a show worth paying for so go for it. Maybe not the $150 seats, though.

But don't do it on the condition that you'll be disappointed if Dylan and/or Tweedy don't show. (Heck, maybe the surprise is Cate Blanchett doing Dylan!)

And I've been at a show like this, and been backstage. Don't ask me HOW they do it but these guys know how to do it. It sounds like there will kinda be a house band so they probably will use the same drum kit(s). In other instances I've seen they will have the drums mic'd and on risers that can just be slid right on stage. It's tricky, I'm sure, but the pros can do these shows pretty seamlessly.

TJ