• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for someone different to post on this thread ...

I am not a huge basketball fan (I will fight to keep OU a football school) but I can't believe we lost to Stephen F. Austin yesterday. How pathetic is that?

Pig Sooie, I have tickets to see your Razorbacks in Norman next Saturday, and I have zero confidence OU will win.

Whoa, deepseacatfish!

DES MOINES, Iowa -- The points kept coming, and so did the assists.

David N. Arseneault shattered the NCAA assists record when he had 34 in Grinnell College's 151-112 win over North Central University of Minnesota in a Division III game Saturday. He made a total of 86 passes.

The previous high of 26 was set in 1989 by Robert James of Division III Kean University. The Division I record of 22 was achieved by three players, including current Dallas Mavericks coach Avery Johnson at Southern in 1988 and Sherman Douglas of Syracuse in 1989.

Grinnell, in central Iowa, is known for a unique style of play that includes rotating five players in and out as often as possible, pressing the entire game and shooting more than 50 3-pointers.

On Saturday, the coach planned to take a different tack by playing two of his best offensive players, John Grotberg and Keith Chamberlain, in 10-minute shifts to see how many points they could score.

When Arseneault had 14 assists by halftime, the team shifted its focus.

Arseneault, Grinnell's career leader in assists, broke the mark with 7:33 left to play.

"I didn't even think it was possible. That's just so many assists that I thought there was no way," Arseneault said. "I had fun during every minute of the game."

Grotberg finished with 49 points, going 14-of-38 from 3-point range, and Chamberlain finished with 39 points and 14 rebounds.

Arseneault had 22 points and doubled his previous career high for assists. His father felt the total could have been higher, noting the Pioneers were just 23-of-86 from 3-point range off passes from his son.

"We didn't shoot the ball all that well yesterday," the coach said.

OU couldn't miss. It's pretty obvious how bad the Hogs need a point guard.

Congrats to your boys.

The funniest part of the game for me: At halftime, the OU football team was honored and a few players spoke to the crowd. I predicted the moment would get the loudest crowd response of the day and I think I may have been correct. Gotta love a football school.

• 2 weeks later...

Associated Press

A University of Memphis Tigers scout flies to Baghdad to watch a young Iraqi play basketball in a new American sponsored league and is very impressed with a young Iraqi player. He arranges for him to come over to the US and play basketball on scholarship.

A few weeks later the Tigers are down 10 points to the Louisville Cardinals with only 5 minutes left. Calipari gives the young Iraqi the nod and he goes in. The kid is a sensation, scoring 5 goals in 5 minutes and winning the game for the home team Tigers!

The fans, players and coaches are all delighted. Even ESPN loves this new star!

When the player comes off the court he phones his Mom to tell her about his first day of NCAA basketball.

"Hello Mom, guess what?" he says in an Iraqi accent. "I played for 5 minutes today, we were 10 points down, but I scored 5 goals and we won. Everybody loves me, the fans, the media, they all love me."

"Wonderful," says his Mom, "let me tell you about my day. Your father got shot in the street and robbed, Your sister and I were ambushed, raped and beaten and your brother has joined a gang of looters, and all while you were having such great time."

The young Iraqi is very upset. "Mom, I'm so sorry."

"All you can say is you 're sorry?!?!?!?!?" says his Mom. "It's your fault we moved to Memphis in the first place!"

Associated Press

"All you can say is you 're sorry?!?!?!?!?" says his Mom. "It's your fault we moved to Memphis in the first place!"

that made me laugh about as much as tyler hansbrough's expression.

(get it he only has one.)