Paul Weller fans?

The new album is really good. Very laid back. A bit all over the place on some tracks, but there's something really nice about that.

I think it's bloody great. The appeal of it lies in it being kind of all over the place. All I can say is I would love to be in a position to put out something this creative when I am 50 years old. Album has me really stoked to see him next month.

make sure you tell him to get to the US as quick as possible

Does he sell well over there? I have a hard time fathoming how acts that are patently English go over, over there..as they say. American culture has crushed the world so that's why everything you guys throw out makes it over here but I didn't think it travelled both ways.

I am totally not making sense, it is a Sunday morning here and I am slightly hungover...

I suppose playing the larger markets where he would be quite well know is a smart move. No sense trying to make it in the heartland at 50 years old.

Paul Weller claimed a new No. 1 album on the U.K. charts with "22 Dreams" (Universal Island), five years after his last bestseller, "Illumination," and 25 since the Jam, first hit the British summit with "The Gift." Meanwhile, a three-year-old version of a 79-year-old song climbed to the top of the singles chart.

Weller's new album makes its debut a few days after his May 25th 50th birthday. He'll play British and European shows next month and is due to travel to Japan and Australia for dates in August.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I saw a great show last night in NYC. He ended with a nice All You Need Is Love.

the guy has such great energy, shouldn't be missed !

Yea he has been ending the show with a Beatles tune for a while now. Don't really see the point of that when he has so many great songs of his own but...Saw him earlier in the summer and it was brilliant from start to finish.

• 2 months later...

Check this weirdness out: I think I discovered Paul Weller through Via Chicago, but I'm really not sure. All I know is that I had a dream one night with the name Paul Weller in it, and in the dream I knew he was a musician. I thought that was pretty interesting, so then I went on Amazon and looked up the name, and sure enough, he's a real person. My next move was to do a search here on Someone Else's Song, and I found this thread, but didn't recall ever even seeing it before. I know I hadn't read it. Maybe I saw the name of the thread and it got filed away in my subconscious.

Anyway, having looked him up on Amazon and then read this thread, I picked up Wildwood, and I really like it. Then I backtracked (kind of the way I did with Wilco -> Uncle Tupelo about ten years ago) and got a copy of The Singular Adventures Of The Style Council, which has some tracks I like a lot too.

Now I've just picked up Illumination, which I'm still absorbing, and Studio 150, which is all covers. I think I'm liking the "mature" Weller better than I would his earlier work, but I don't know much yet ... are there any essentials I must have, all you knowledgeable fans?